PAF Expert / Database Person

Discussions about PAF, PAF SDK, and the future of PAF.
ammonihah

PAF Expert / Database Person

Post by ammonihah »

I am looking for a referral. My father has somehow duplicated records in his database and needs to have someone look at it. This cannot be a person who just teaches PAF. It needs to be someone who understands the database and can make corrections and consult him on what needs to be done. Apparently all his research material is referenced by RIN and MRIN and now he has lost all of the originals. I can be reached at RCCanning@gmail.com. He is willing to compensate for this work. Thanks
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Ammonihah wrote:I am looking for a referral. My father has somehow duplicated records in his database and needs to have someone look at it. This cannot be a person who just teaches PAF. It needs to be someone who understands the database and can make corrections and consult him on what needs to be done. Apparently all his research material is referenced by RIN and MRIN and now he has lost all of the originals. I can be reached at RCCanning@gmail.com. He is willing to compensate for this work. Thanks
Does he have any backups of the Database?
Duplicates can usually be eliminated by using the "Match/Merge" utility.
This would best be done by your father since he's familiar with his family.
Intimate knowledge of the inner working of the database isn't generally necessary as most corrections can be handled through PAF itself.

My first suggestion would be to look at any backups that he may have. If there are none, and he has no other course of action, then I'd first make a backup so you don't lose what you currently have, then I'd work through using the Match/Merge utility to eliminate current duplicates.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Ammonihah wrote:I am looking for a referral. Thanks
If you still wish to pursue finding someone to assist, you might check out the Utah Valley PAF User's Group
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ammonihah wrote:Apparently all his research material is referenced by RIN and MRIN and now he has lost all of the originals.
Uh, oh. If I remember correctly, there are certain operations that may re-assign the RIN and MRIN numbers.

You may want to contact the folks at Ancestral Quest. PAF is a derivative of Ancestral Quest 3.0.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

I would agree that it might not really be necessary for someone to understand the database format, etc. The Match/Merge works pretty well. Third-party application, such as, PAF Insight or Family Insight also has a Match/Merge type of thing. I recommend doing both just in case. I am one that has taught quite a few PAF classes and understands that database . . . I have written utilities that I have personally used.

Return to “Personal Ancestral File (PAF)”