Mandatory Password Change

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
Garin
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:25 am
Location: United States

Mandatory Password Change

#1

Post by Garin »

I don't understand why there is a mandatory password change attached to the LDS Account. It tends to make things difficult when you have to learn a new password every two months or so. Also, is there a reason that some people have to rotate passwords while others do not?
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31987
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#2

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting. I didn't know there was a 60/90 day password policy on the LDS Account. Perhaps that's only for users of certain systems?

What systems are you using?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

#3

Post by techgy »

tgsavage wrote:I don't understand why there is a mandatory password change attached to the LDS Account. It tends to make things difficult when you have to learn a new password every two months or so. Also, is there a reason that some people have to rotate passwords while others do not?
If you work for the church in any capacity there's an expiration time that will apply. Otherwise, for regular members, full-time missionaries, etc who are not employees of the church there is no expiration date.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3255
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

#4

Post by mkmurray »

Techgy wrote:If you work for the church in any capacity there's an expiration time that will apply. Otherwise, for regular members, full-time missionaries, etc who are not employees of the church there is no expiration date.
Yes, I have never been asked to change my LDSAccount password, and I've had it for something like a year.
Garin
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:25 am
Location: United States

#5

Post by Garin »

Techgy wrote:If you work for the church in any capacity there's an expiration time that will apply. Otherwise, for regular members, full-time missionaries, etc who are not employees of the church there is no expiration date.
That makes sense. However, since I am a missionary, doesn't that mean that I would be exempted from having to change it? Also, will that requirement go away when I am released at the end of this month?
User avatar
PNMarkW2
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:44 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Contact:

#6

Post by PNMarkW2 »

Mandatory password changes are just so much "security theater" anyway. They don't really increase security at all. If a password is compromised it's going to be used, someone isn't going to wait 60/90 days for you to change your password before trying it out. So nearly 100% of the time a mandatory password change is really just changing one secure password for another.

Password security is about selecting passwords that are unique and not guessable, plus a system that will lockout an account after X number of failed attempts, not about changing them often.
~Mark
Ward Clerk
Colonial Heights Ward
Portland Oregon Stake

-----
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three."
---Alice Kahn
techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

#7

Post by techgy »

tgsavage wrote:That makes sense. However, since I am a missionary, doesn't that mean that I would be exempted from having to change it? Also, will that requirement go away when I am released at the end of this month?
As a missionary you are not a church employee and thus shouldn't be required to make periodic, mandatory password changes. At least this is how it was explained to me. Nothing would change at the end of the month.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 31987
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

#8

Post by russellhltn »

PNMarkW2 wrote:Mandatory password changes are just so much "security theater" anyway. They don't really increase security at all. If a password is compromised it's going to be used, someone isn't going to wait 60/90 days for you to change your password before trying it out.
I would mostly agree with that. However, in the work place, I've seen passwords shared despite rules against this. This might be simply to unlock a station so someone else can use it. Or perhaps it's a permissions issue that someone doesn't have rights to do what they need to do. It's all done to further the work of the employer.

If the need was just a one-time event, a password change will prevent that person from being able to use that shared password when a new, perhaps less honest desire comes up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Garin
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:25 am
Location: United States

#9

Post by Garin »

Techgy wrote:As a missionary you are not a church employee and thus shouldn't be required to make periodic, mandatory password changes. At least this is how it was explained to me. Nothing would change at the end of the month.
Who would I contact to make sure that I get "fired" then when I end my service in the Church offices? :)
techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

#10

Post by techgy »

tgsavage wrote:Who would I contact to make sure that I get "fired" then when I end my service in the Church offices? :)
As I indicated previously if you are serving as a missionary, which is a non-paid position, you are not a church employee. There's no need to be "fired" as nothing would change.

If you wish to contact someone to get further clarification on this issue I recommend you contact the MLS Help Desk at (801) 240-3500. This is the same place where I originally obtained the information that was posted earlier in this thread.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
Post Reply

Return to “Church Account”