HT/VT Reporting Website Overview

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Russell, I think I have addressed the issue you were referring to. As you can see, the submenu no longer closes when you move the pointer away from it.

Please take another look and let me know.

First part of e-mail address is 'Erik'

https://www.htreporting.com/htrepbeta/R ... pyear=2007

Thanks,

Brad
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's better. However if my travel from "Not visited" to the flyout takes me across "visited" the menu changes on me. I think lds.org had a quarter second delay in changing flyouts.

It's not necessary to leave the menu on continuously if the pointer is moved off. But if you can set a delay for a second or so, that will work.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

RussellHltn wrote:It's better. However if my travel from "Not visited" to the flyout takes me across "visited" the menu changes on me. I think lds.org had a quarter second delay in changing flyouts.

It's not necessary to leave the menu on continuously if the pointer is moved off. But if you can set a delay for a second or so, that will work.

There is now a quarter second delay on the submenu expansion. How is it now?

As usual, first part of e-mail is 'Erik'

https://www.htreporting.com/htrepbeta/R ... pyear=2007

Brad O.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Much better! It's functional now, but if possible, there are a couple of minor improvements. (lds.org's example spoiled me)

The first on is it would be nice of the entire menu system closed up if the mouse left it for 2 seconds. Right now it says open until something is clicked.

The second one is if from moving from "Not Visited" I drift across "Visited" and don't make it back to the flyout within the quarter second, the flyout changes even though I'm no longer hovering on "visited". I think it's because "visited" says lit even though I'm no longer on it.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

RussellHltn wrote:Much better! It's functional now, but if possible, there are a couple of minor improvements. (lds.org's example spoiled me)

The first on is it would be nice of the entire menu system closed up if the mouse left it for 2 seconds. Right now it says open until something is clicked.

I'll look into that.... Though I'm sure there is a way, I'm not seeing a straightforward way to do it.
RussellHltn wrote:The second one is if from moving from "Not Visited" I drift across "Visited" and don't make it back to the flyout within the quarter second, the flyout changes even though I'm no longer hovering on "visited". I think it's because "visited" says lit even though I'm no longer on it.

It seems to me that lds.org's menu works the same way. If you scroll down to another menu item momentarily and then to your submenu, you get the submenu of the lower menu instead of the upper.

Brad O.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brado426 wrote:I'll look into that.... Though I'm sure there is a way, I'm not seeing a straightforward way to do it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what timings you have available. I don't even know if the lds.org is using the same technology.

brado426 wrote:It seems to me that lds.org's menu works the same way. If you scroll down to another menu item momentarily and then to your submenu, you get the submenu of the lower menu instead of the upper.

lds.org: Hover over "About the Church" long enough for the flyout. Now move the mouse slowly down the list. Each item will highlight as you go over it, but as long as you don't stay on for a quarter second, the flyout won't change. Now there's the difference: When you slide off the bottom of the list, "News and Events" looses the highlight. Done at the right speed, the original flyout menu from "About the Church" is still there. With this setup, I can go from "About the Church" down though the list, and then to the right to find "Stake and Ward Websites". (A wrong way "L" path) As long as I don't hover over one of the other selections, I can take my time. And once I'm off the list, I have all the time in the world to make the move to the flyout.

With htreporting, when I slide off the bottom of the list, "Visited" remains lit and then a quarter second later, the flyout from "visited" kicks in even though the mouse is no longer there. It's a different action when you slide off the first list and haven't yet gone to another. It upsets the desired timing. The key is to loose the highlight when the mouse is no longer on the object.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Got it Russell.... thanks. I think I'm going to roll the new menu out as is to the testers and see how things go. I sent out an e-mail to the testers a couple days ago and received positive feedback about the new menu. My main concern now is browser compatibility.

I added the icons to the report, which I think adds some value in that it makes the report easier to read. For the custom Contact Types, the associated Standard Contact Type icon shows.

I also redesigned the interface the allows the Presidency to manually update the reported statuses. It is far faster, easier to use and generally superior with the new AJAX menu.

Brad O.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

brado426 wrote:My main concern now is browser compatibility.

Basically the major browsers IE 6/7, FireFox and Safari since those come installed by default on most machines. As for a summary of what people are viewing this site with see [thread=157]Tom's thread on how the site is doing[/thread].
- David
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Below is a summary I sent to the testers of other changes that were made over the past week.

In addition to the new menu, several other changes and bug-fixes have been made:

1. Contact Type icons have been added to the report as shown below. For Visiting Teaching, Phone and Letter icons appear.

2. The “Edit Results by Household/Sister” function has been completely redesigned utilizing the new menu. This makes manually changing HT/VT results much easier. When clicking on the "Edit" link, the Contact Type menu will pop up so you can quickly select the new status for the desired household/sister.

3. Added “No Change” option to Contact Type menu in case the user decides not to make a change after clicking on and opening the menu.

4. Fixed a problem that caused the Contact Type to display in the Pie Chart Legend even if it was not marked as “Chart Separately.”

5. Contact Types that are marked as "Chart Separately" now show up on the Pie Chart Legend even if their total is zero (0).

6. Fixed a problem that occasionally caused a 10 second delay when first attempting to access the site.

7. For the "Send E-Mail" option, the E-Mail options now always show at the top of the screen whether or not the teacher you have selected has a configured e-mail address. However, only the E-Mail options that are applicable to the teacher you have selected will show. For example, if you have selected a teacher that does not have a configured e-mail address, the only e-mail options that will show will be "Send E-Mail to all those not reported" and "Send E-Mail to All Teachers."

Brad O.
The_Earl

Great

Post by The_Earl »

This is looking really good. I hope soon we can get it rolled out for testing in some units.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”