64-bits vs 32-bits

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Locked
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#71

Post by WelchTC »

AdrianLP wrote:Seriously? MySQL can do that, so can RSYNC :) Both are free.
You are assuming that everything should have been solved using technology that is available today. Remember, we have MASSIVE amounts of data that we carry forward. Changing everything over to use MySQL is a HUGE undertaking at the Church.

Tom
User avatar
AdrianLP-p40
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

#72

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

tomw wrote:You are assuming that everything should have been solved using technology that is available today. Remember, we have MASSIVE amounts of data that we carry forward. Changing everything over to use MySQL is a HUGE undertaking at the Church.
rsync (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync) was wrote way back in 1996. Was MLS in the works that long ago?

rsync is based on rcp and scp, and they predated it by some time I believe.
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#73

Post by WelchTC »

AdrianLP wrote:rsync (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync) was wrote way back in 1996. Was MLS in the works that long ago?

rsync is based on rcp and scp, and they predated it by some time I believe.

So I think that you are missing what I am saying. We purchased a program to do the synching for us. We did not want to write our own. THat decision was made YEARS ago.

We can criticize it all we want about decisions that were made in the past but the fact remains that we have legacy code we have to replace, rewrite, or otherwise deal with. The technologies that you are mentioning are not new to the Church. We use rsync for other processes and procedures. We use MYSQL (in fact on this very site). But it takes time to move to newer technologies. And in with all of this work, we need to develop new software for newer needs. It is simple to say "solve the problem by using MySQL or RSync" but it simply is not that easily done. We have a VERY complex and large enterprise that has legacy data going back decades with interdependencies between multiple large applications. In addition, we have many people working on new applications to solve new needs and problems. I suggest that if you feel you have the answers to these problems, please come work for us and help us solve them. They are massive in nature and take much planning, coordination, and effort to bring to pass. They are not as simple as replacing technology "A" with technology "B".

Tom
User avatar
AdrianLP-p40
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

#74

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

tomw wrote:But it takes time to move to newer technologies.
No question about it.

tomw wrote:I suggest that if you feel you have the answers to these problems, please come work for us and help us solve them.
Can a person work remotely? Its tempting, but I really have no desire to move to the US.

tomw wrote:They are massive in nature and take much planning, coordination, and effort to bring to pass. They are not as simple as replacing technology "A" with technology "B".
I'm aware, I work for the military supporting a simulation system which itself has many co-dependencies.
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#75

Post by WelchTC »

AdrianLP wrote: Can a person work remotely? Its tempting, but I really have no desire to move to the US.
That would depend upon the job I suppose. But that would have to be answered by the manager hiring for the specific job.

Tom
User avatar
AdrianLP-p40
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

#76

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

tomw wrote:That would depend upon the job I suppose. But that would have to be answered by the manager hiring for the specific job.
Ya, looked at the current jobs. Nothing listed under Ontario.

I work for the government presently. So the benefits are pretty good, I have a ton of development and creative freedom, but like any government job the salary is...
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators
Posts: 2959
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Dundee, Oregon, USA

#77

Post by rmrichesjr »

tomw wrote:That would depend upon the job I suppose. But that would have to be answered by the manager hiring for the specific job.

Tom
Tom, can you give us any quantitative idea (within an order of magnitude or so) of how likely or often this is an available option?
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

#78

Post by WelchTC »

rmrichesjr wrote:Tom, can you give us any quantitative idea (within an order of magnitude or so) of how likely or often this is an available option?
I really don't have access to that kind of data. Sorry.

Tom
Locked

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”