Priesthood Line of Authority

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I haven't heard anything, but then the church typically doesn't say anything until it's released, or the release is imminent.

For planning purposes, I would advise to plan on it NOT being available electronically until it is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jhigbee wrote:Any more feedback on whether we’ll see progress soon on making our PLA lines available electronically?
PLAs are available electronically, sort of. I just requested mine last week. The process I used was to send an e-mail to the address specified with PLA in the subject line. The PDF form was e-mailed back to me within five minutes. I filled out the form, printed it, scanned it, and sent it in another e-mail as a PDF attachment. I had my PLA the next day by e-mail as a PDF attachment. The entire process is not electronic if you consider that the form must be filled in and printed (or printed and filled in) and then scanned to get it back into electronic form for transmission by e-mail. My time may not be typical for all requests. I had all the information needed for the form. Unfortunately my High Priest line ended at the second person since the information beyond that was missing at CHQ.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
danpass

Post by danpass »

jdlessley wrote:I filled out the form, printed it, scanned it, and sent it in another e-mail as a PDF attachment.

Does the form require a signature or some other handwritten input which necessitates the printing to paper and rescanning? If not, you could have just printed the completed form to a virtual PDF printer (i.e. CutePDF) and sent the resultant PDF file as an attachment.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

danpass wrote:Does the form require a signature or some other handwritten input which necessitates the printing to paper and rescanning? If not, you could have just printed the completed form to a virtual PDF printer (i.e. CutePDF) and sent the resultant PDF file as an attachment.
No signature is required, only data. The form is a fillable but unsavable PDF document. Printing a PDF document using a PDF print driver results in a blank document.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The form is a fillable but unsavable PDF document.
Common, but fixable on the CHQ end by someone with the right level of Adobe ($$$)

jdlessley wrote:Printing a PDF document using a PDF print driver results in a blank document.

It shouldn't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jhigbee

Post by jhigbee »

Thanks for that good run-down Bro. Lessley- that was quite a bit simpler and faster than I assumed from the quasi manual-electronic method from previous discussions on it. Our high councilor was actually thinking about generating the PLA for all of our young men for an upcoming Aaronic Phd Commeration activity. I’ll run this by him and see what he thinks about pursuing this approach. I now wonder if these steps can be done in mass for a few young men at once.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jhigbee wrote:Our high councilor was actually thinking about generating the PLA for all of our young men for an upcoming Aaronic Phd Commeration activity.
- I'm not sure how automated this process is. You may be placing inordinate burden on a church employee.
- I'm not sure how well this works for the Aaronic Priesthood. The usual concern is the Melchizedek. You may find the amount of misisng information will cause an effect quite different then what is intended.
- I'm not sure if you can request it on behalf of another person like that.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jhigbee wrote:Our high councilor was actually thinking about generating the PLA for all of our young men for an upcoming Aaronic Phd Commeration activity.

The PLA that you can obtain from CHQ is only for Melchizedek Priesthood. But in many cases, the PLA for the father is what you would need. Many men would already have their PLA, so in many cases, contacting the father would be sufficient.
jhigbee wrote:I now wonder if these steps can be done in mass for a few young men at once.

The form asks the requester to declare the relationship to the person whose PLA is being requested (e.g., Father, Son, Grandson). I doubt that "YM leader of son of person" is going to be acceptable.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jhigbee

Post by jhigbee »

Yes, we would only be requesting their Melchizedek Phd PLA thru their fathers.
I appreciate your input regarding this possibly being an undue burden on CHQ people for multiple requests, and for not being able to request a PLA for another unrelated person. I’ll discuss with our ward & stake leadership the need for us to be judicious with this proposal.

Thanks again.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jhigbee wrote:Yes, we would only be requesting their Melchizedek Phd PLA thru their fathers.

I would certainly check with their fathers first. They may already have their lines of authority, and they should be able to give them to their sons (and already should have given them).

This might be an opportunity for a wonderful father/son activity and teaching moment that the fathers would learn from, as well.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”