Projector on the Podium

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

SBankhead wrote:It has always bothered me because I'm kind of a freak for a clean installation, and equipment and cords sitting right on or next to the pulpit can be ugly and distracting during a meeting...
-Shane

Just to add my 2 cents to the thought process (I'm only referring to the quoted part): A potential low-tech solution to a high-tech problem could be to hang a piece of fabric (maybe a dark-colored bed sheet) across the back of the projector stand to cover the cables from view by the audience. You just have to make sure you don't block the airflow for cooling fans. I have done that at home in some instances and it can be a quick and easy solution.

Our stake places the projector in the pews for broadcasts and next to the podium on a stand if a speaker needs to use it. Most members don't care about a little keystoning as long as it doesn't distort the image too much.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Interesting discussion. I've also hated the asymetrical keystone caused by putting the project off to the side. I think I'll try putting it between the seats behind the speaker, even when there isn't a speaker. From the podium I have to zoom quite a ways in to get it to fit on the screen, so a little closer won't be a problem. The biggest problem I see will be the angle. The severe keystone required will affect the focus as well as the resolution. Broadcasts aren't very good quality anyway, but presentations I would think would be noticeable. We have a projector table with adjustable legs that we use when we're projecting in the cultural hall. This could give it a little more height.

My previous stake had a long-throw projector that we could put in the back. Now those are even more expensive. I would especially like one of those when projecting in the cultural hall so I wouldn't have to block the aisle.

I agree, it's really disappointing that the physical facilities are so far behind technologically. It wouldn't cost that much to do things correct right from the start. I would also love to mount our camera permanently for broadcast to other buildings or the cultural hall.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
mamadsen

Post by mamadsen »

Many of the newer Epson projectors have the ability to adjust the keystone by each corner. It is really pretty neat.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

MRK wrote:Many of the newer Epson projectors have the ability to adjust the keystone by each corner. It is really pretty neat.
Cool. We have a new Epson projector in at least one of the wards; I'll check it out. Tonight I'll just try putting the projector behind the speaker.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
MattWorley

Post by MattWorley »

At my Stake center, there is an old drop down from the roof which held a 50 pound beast of a projector, we replaced it with a small sony provided by the church, the throw was too close so the image was small and everyone complained to me about it. I asked the stake for a better projector, I even spec'ed one out found a good price but still no go. Now our projector lives next to the podium when in use.
Does anyone know if there is a way to play a DVD back in through the church system? It's just a pain to hook up a dvd player next to the podium every time they want to play back a DVD for a training or something.
Matt Worley
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

MattWorley wrote:At my Stake center, there is an old drop down from the roof which held a 50 pound beast of a projector, we replaced it with a small sony provided by the church, the throw was too close so the image was small and everyone complained to me about it. I asked the stake for a better projector, I even spec'ed one out found a good price but still no go. Now our projector lives next to the podium when in use.
Does anyone know if there is a way to play a DVD back in through the church system? It's just a pain to hook up a dvd player next to the podium every time they want to play back a DVD for a training or something.
For those buildings with satellite this is technically possible. The video source can be injected at the satellite cabinet into the appropriate modulator. Then the video is arrives at the podium the same as any satellite broadcast. I am not certain, however, that all modulators can accept the DVD input.

As I think about this I am wondering about the issues created versus just the minor inconvenience of having a DVD player next to the projector (on the floor perhaps or even a small stand next to the podium). There is the issue of lost video quality due to the nature of the additional equipment. Now there needs to be someone attending the video source and cued from the podium. How do you handle that when they are in another room? For some units the policies of the FM group may not permit access to the equipment.

For buildings without satellite I am not sure of any system in place for remote setup of video input to a projector.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I am not certain, however, that all modulators can accept the DVD input.

I don't know why not as long as you use the composite output. Audio levels might be a different story. And this would require some re-wiring of the satellite equipment. Not something that the FM group is going to be happy about since they end up having to fix any problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I just play DVDs using a laptop.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
quintonrhq

Laptop setup at the podium

Post by quintonrhq »

We are lucky enough to have room behind the podium to align the projector optimally. A long VGA extension cable (50 feet) lets the presentor have a laptop on the podium and not have the projector in the area. If there is a sound requirement, a 'crab' box connection is moved into position. A network connection is also provided or a wireless connection can be made. An AC power cord is also provided. I feel uneasy running on laptop battery power.
roblad

Re: Projector on the Podium

Post by roblad »

We have one building in our stake where the podium is offset from center by about 24 inches. This was done to make it possible for the Organ and Piano to fit. A side benefit of this is that it provided an ideal perch for a projector.

We can’t do this in our stake center so we shoot over the podium and have the presenter wear a wireless mike.

I think the best solution might be a short throw projector along with a rear projection screen. We replaced one of the screens on a cultural hall stage with one that supports both front projection and rear projection. This has been a wonderful arrangement. This provides better brightness and it allows the projector to be invisible. It would be interesting to see if this would work in a chapel where the projector sits in the back row of choir seats. In the cultural hall, we were even able to use this screen as a very large basketball scoreboard. All you need is a free iPhone app, an Apple TV device and you can score the game from anywhere.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”