unverified vs verified lds map locations

Discussions about the Maps Tool on lds.org.
bgraabek
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Finchampstead, Berkshire, United Kingdom

unverified vs verified lds map locations

#1

Post by bgraabek »

What is the procedure/where does a ward clerk verify a particular member location? Is there any documentation about this?

Bjorn Graabek, Stake Clerk
User avatar
benjamincarleski
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 pm
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA

#2

Post by benjamincarleski »

I don't know if there is any documentation, but when I go to the new map site and click on a member, there is a Verify button on the member popup. There is also a button to move the pointer to the correct location. I am the executive secretary in my ward, and I didn't have to do anything special, I just logged in and was able to move pointer and mark locations as verified.
danpass
Senior Member
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR
Contact:

#3

Post by danpass »

bgraabek wrote:What is the procedure/where does a ward clerk verify a particular member location? Is there any documentation about this?

Bjorn Graabek, Stake Clerk
This Wiki page provides documentation for LDS Maps and the Help for Ward Leaders section of that page, in particular, has the information you are seeking.
bgraabek
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Finchampstead, Berkshire, United Kingdom

#4

Post by bgraabek »

Thanks to both of you for the answers. As Stake Clerk I can't see the options available to for example a Ward Clerk.
Also, this morning I DID find the wiki article, I guess I should have been more persistent yesterday...
User avatar
cottrells
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:

#5

Post by cottrells »

bgraabek wrote:Thanks to both of you for the answers. As Stake Clerk I can't see the options available to for example a Ward Clerk.
Also, this morning I DID find the wiki article, I guess I should have been more persistent yesterday...
I also serve as Stake Clerk and find it a challenge to train clerks on features that I do not have access to. I am all for the clerks in the wards and branches to maintain the information, but in some cases it would be helpful for the stake clerks to be able to help out either because the clerk is not able or there is no clerk called.
User avatar
cottrells
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:

#6

Post by cottrells »

cottrells wrote:I also serve as Stake Clerk and find it a challenge to train clerks on features that I do not have access to. I am all for the clerks in the wards and branches to maintain the information, but in some cases it would be helpful for the stake clerks to be able to help out either because the clerk is not able or there is no clerk called.
OK, after posting my previous comment, I checked and found that I could edit and verify address locations in all units of the stake using the tool found at new.lds.org/maps. I'm hopeful that this is a new feature for stake clerks and not a blip.

**Update**
Spoke to soon, should have tested more. I can not edit and verify any address but my own, but I couldn't even do that before.
zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

#7

Post by zaneclark »

bgraabek wrote:What is the procedure/where does a ward clerk verify a particular member location? Is there any documentation about this?

Bjorn Graabek, Stake Clerk
I know the procedure to change unverified to verified on the map but I wonder how some of you determine these correct locations? I suppose I could print out a map and drive by each location, but this seems pretty labor intensive. I'm sure there must be an easer way that I am missing.....
User avatar
cottrells
Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:14 am
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:

spreading the load

#8

Post by cottrells »

zaneclark wrote:I know the procedure to change unverified to verified on the map but I wonder how some of you determine these correct locations? I suppose I could print out a map and drive by each location, but this seems pretty labor intensive. I'm sure there must be an easer way that I am missing.....
I would suggest that the first option is to encourage each head of household to verify their own locations. If they did this would take care of many of them and leave the clerks with the remainder. Again if the stake clerks had the ability to verify locations that would helped spread the load.

In response to you main point, how do we determine the correct location, I think it is a challenge unless you have personal knowledge of visiting the home.

In the UK postcodes will narrow down the address to approximately 15 residences. If there are many apartments in one block, that building will normally have it's own unique code. These codes are accepted in the major mapping search engines.
User avatar
Biggles
Senior Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Watford, England

#9

Post by Biggles »

I use the Google Street View option, in Google Earth, where if you are lucky you can pinpoint individual residences. If not, as already suggested, the Head of Household could be the next port of call.

As a part of the Ward Bishopric I've located the majority of our Ward Members, using the Google Earth method.

At the moment I have found very few members actually know of the existence of the new Meeting House Locator map site, which would enable them to locate and place their own households.

I have also noted that the majority of Wards, in our Stake, have not done any mapping at all. Perhaps it's because I have a keen interest in what developments the Church does with new technology and I'm willing to try it out.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 2021
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am
Location: South Jordan, UT, USA

#10

Post by jonesrk »

cottrells wrote: Spoke to soon, should have tested more. I can not edit and verify any address but my own, but I couldn't even do that before.
I noticed that they added that feature as I was able to verify my own address.

Now that I am a ward clerk I can see the options to filter the members by Verified location, Member verified location and others.
Post Reply

Return to “Maps”