Can't copy/paste new.lds.org documents in Chrome

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
dltayman

Can't copy/paste new.lds.org documents in Chrome

Post by dltayman »

Using Chrome, I am unable to select text in the scriptures, conference, or other 'study library'-ready documents on new.lds.org - I end up having to go back over to the old lds.org to select text to copy and paste.

Anyone else using Chrome encounter this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dltayman wrote:Using Chrome, I am unable to select text in the scriptures, conference, or other 'study library'-ready documents on new.lds.org - I end up having to go back over to the old lds.org to select text to copy and paste.

Anyone else using Chrome encounter this?
No. I have no problems selecting text from conference or scriptures using Chrome. I select text by dragging my mouse across the text. Then I can copy by using Ctrl+C or by right clicking and choosing Copy. The text goes in the clipboard and can be pasted in any other application.

I'm using Chrome 6.0.472.63, which is up to date.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ajames

Post by ajames »

I, too, am using version 6.0.472.63 and am having the same results Alan_Brown noted.
dltayman

Post by dltayman »

I can't click anywhere inside the text to begin. I would need to click outside of the text, and then drag down.

For example, on this page, if I click on the word 'marriage', and drag, nothing happens. However, if I go outside the margins and click and drag, then it begins to select the whole block - but not starting at the word I want.

clicking anywhere on the main text just brings up the scripture-study tool-bar in the margin.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dltayman wrote:I can't click anywhere inside the text to begin. I would need to click outside of the text, and then drag down.

For example, on this page, if I click on the word 'marriage', and drag, nothing happens. However, if I go outside the margins and click and drag, then it begins to select the whole block - but not starting at the word I want.

clicking anywhere on the main text just brings up the scripture-study tool-bar in the margin.
I persisted in trying long enough to see what you are talking about. The key point (besides using the Chrome browser) is that you have to be signed in.

When you are signed in, the problem appears. It's not quite true that you can't click inside the text, but that's pretty close. If you drag along the empty space between verses, it will start selecting text in the first line of a verse. But you can't select anywhere but in the first line by doing this trick.

In any case, it's pretty much unusable for selecting specific text when you're logged in. And of course, the Study Notebook is really only useful when you are signed in.

It definitely looks like a bug -- I'd recommend that you report it using the Feedback link (and mention the details above so that it will be easier for the developers to reproduce the problem).

If you're just trying to copy and paste, then you should logout first, and then you should have no problems.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mikelantz

Re: Can't copy/paste new.lds.org documents in Chrome

Post by mikelantz »

I gave up on Chrome. Firefox works with no problem.
houseofrock

Post by houseofrock »

I could always copy and paste before, but today it won't allow me to do that. What is going on?
mevans

Post by mevans »

houseofrock wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:38 am I could always copy and paste before, but today it won't allow me to do that. What is going on?
It appears that the church has recently updated how study tools works, which has included the introduction of new bugs.

Clear your cookies and cache, then try in a private browsing window. If it's still a problem, then submit a feedback through the Feedback link (scroll the left pane of study tools all the way to the bottom to find the Feedback link). When you submit your feedback, be sure to tell them that you already cleared your cache and cookies and that you're also in a private browsing window and you still experience the problem. Otherwise they will likely respond with a generic message telling you to clear your cache/cookies. If you get that message, reply back letting them know you've already done that and it's still a problem.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

houseofrock wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:38 am I could always copy and paste before, but today it won't allow me to do that. What is going on?
This person found something that worked for them:
https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... hp?t=40692
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”