Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Some really good changes to look forward to...
New Features and Changes in MLS 3.3
- Windows 7 Compatibility. MLS is now compatible with Windows 7. MLS will also continue to be compatible with Windows XP. Those using computers with Windows 7 will not be required to run MLS as a Windows administrator.
- New Patriarch Recommendation Form. The New Patriarch Recommendation form used by the stake to recommend a high priest to become a patriarch is now in the stake version of MLS. At this point not all languages are available. More languages will be added as they become available.
- Leader and Unit Change Request and Unit Information. The Leader and Unit Change Request feature used by stakes to change some limited information about the stake and the wards in the stake is now allowing the stake to change information about the unit itself.
- Duplicate Position Assignments. Because of an MLS bug that has since been corrected, duplicate or incorrect position assignment (calling) information may have been recorded at Church headquarters for your unit that have not been visible to you before now. If these position assignment errors still exist they will now be visible in MLS 3.3. If duplicate or incorrect position assignment information is found, please correct it in MLS. This corrected position assignment information will then be sent to Church headquarters as part of your next MLS transmission.
Changes Related to Membership
- Adobe Reader Needed To Search the MLS Software Manual. Beginning with MLS 3.2, the online help was replaced by the MLS Software Manual, which is a PDF document. Some units are having trouble searching through this document because the PDF reader they have does not have a search feature. The Adobe Acrobat Reader will search PDF documents and is free. To download this reader, on the Internet go to mls.lds.org (no "w.w.w"). In the Unit ID field, enter your unit number. In the Password field, enter ***(obtain password from stake clerk). Click Submit. Click Additional Local Unit Software. From here you can download the Adobe Reader.
- Recording Melchizedek Priesthood Ordinations at the Stake Level. Now both stakes and wards can record Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations (elder and high priest), with stakes taking the lead so that these ordinations are recorded in a more timely manner. The procedure for stakes is below.
After the stake records the Melchizedek Priesthood ordination, the ward receives notification that it has occurred. Priesthood leaders have been informed of this policy change by a separate communication.
- On the Membership Records menu, click Individual Record.
- In the window that appears, select the name of the person receiving the ordination and click OK.
- On the left side of the screen, click Ordinances.
- In the Priesthood Ordinations section, click Add Ordination.
- Fill in all information and click Save.
- Child Blessing Record and Baptism and Confirmation Record Revisions. Previously there were two versions of the Child Blessing Record and the Baptism and Confirmation Record, a regular version and a consent version for those areas where legal consent was needed for the Church to record and keep membership information. These have now been combined into one Child Blessing Record and one Baptism and Confirmation Record. The consent language is in the combined forms.
- Reports and Lists That Contain Personal Telephone and E-mail Information. In a previous release, MLS added the functionality to record each member's individual telephone number and e-mail address. At first, this information appeared on a limited number of reports and lists. More reports and lists now contain this information. They are:
- Abbreviated Directory
- Activation Report
- Adult Members Not Endowed
- Aaronic Priesthood Ordination Record
- Baptism and Confirmation Record
- Directory of Members
- Endowed Members without Recommend
- Household Reports
- Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Record
- Members with Callings
- Members without Callings
- Patriarchal Blessing Recommendation
- Potential Seminary/Institute Students
- Request for Released Time form
- Signature Card
- Telephone and E-mail Directory
- Temple Recommends
- Changes to the Request Household Records and Individual Records Screens. On the Request Household Records information and the Request Individual Record screens, the "Individual" category has had some changes to its fields. Mostly these are format changes that more clearly show what information is needed. However, a full birth date is now required. This has been done to increase the success for finding the correct record and to reduce the number of requests for more information sent to a unit from the administration office.
- Changes to the Membership Audit. The following changes have been made to the Membership Audit in MLS:
- The three tabs on the Priesthood screen have been changed to three separate screens (High Priests, Elders, Aaronic).
- The Baptisms screen has been changed to include a column for the child's telephone number. If the child is under 18 years old, the telephone number will be the household number. If the child is 18 years old or more, the individual telephone number will be displayed.
- The Training Lessons screen has been removed and has been replaced by the Key Leaders screen. This new screen displays the office title, the name of the person in the office, and the date sustained for each key leader.
- When the Membership Audit is completed, click the Submit button. This will cause the results of the audit to be sent to Church headquarters for statistical purposes. However, clerks should still print the report that is taken to the stake president.
Changes Related to Finance
- Application to the First Presidency. There have been some changes to the instructions for the Application to the First Presidency form. Leaders and clerks should read the instructions carefully when completing this form.
- Perpetual Education Fund (PEF) Priesthood Reports. Units that are involved in the Perpetual Education Fund (PEF) now have access to PEF Priesthood Reports in MLS. The PEF staff will be providing instructions concerning this to these units.
- Budget Reports and CUBS. If your unit has begun to use Church Unit Banking Services (CUBS), your Budget Report will be updated to reflect the features of CUBS, such as a real dollar amount in your Budget category and estimates of future budget allotments. If you are not yet using CUBS, you will be informed when this transition will begin.
aclawson wrote:Where can I find that change log online
The release notes have never been posted online by the MLS team. They are not available except by running the installation program.
The 3.3.0b2 release is in beta, and so whatever is in the release notes now is still subject to change. No one should install the beta on a ward or stake administrative computer unless their stake president has authorized participation in the beta program for the entire stake.
aclawson wrote:(and, more importantly, how can I easily find the ones that come in the future?)
Once a version of MLS is released, the release notes are posted on the wiki under Timeline of MLS. That posting is done by the community, not by the MLS team, so there is sometimes a lag in the posting, but it's usually pretty quick.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Duplicate Position Assignments. Because of an MLS bug that has since been corrected, duplicate or incorrect position assignment (calling) information may have been recorded at Church headquarters for your unit that have not been visible to you before now. If these position assignment errors still exist they will now be visible in MLS 3.3. If duplicate or incorrect position assignment information is found, please correct it in MLS. This corrected position assignment information will then be sent to Church headquarters as part of your next MLS transmission.
Can hardly wait. We are getting quite a few duplicates in CDOL that are not visible in our MLS.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest