Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:I think that was there, and it didn't prevent the problem. I think it needs something a little stronger then that. Perhaps put it in bold or add "Preliminary - subject to change" if it's too far in the future.
I guess we agree that something needs to be added to a printout to help identify a potential for aged information. Even with the current month-by-month method of printing a LUWS calendar a person intent on having the entire year will suffer the pain of doing each month individually and never update it.

Another idea is to have a watermark that identifies when it was printed accross the entire month if it is not the current month. For example if the month of July is printed within seven days of the end of June then the watermark would not then be added. But if the month of July, or beyond, was printed earlier than 23 June a watermark like "Caution! This information is dated and may not be accurate!" at 45° accross each month printed beyond the current month along with a header or footer in bold identifying the printing date would provide some visual warning.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
SingerGuy

Stake Calendaring

Post by SingerGuy »

My previous stake used the resource calendar for scheduling the buildings. If you called the scheduler for an activity, (s)he would just log on to the web site and do the scheduling using the same tool that you could have used without calling them. We had a different scheduler for each building and things flowed very well that way.

We had training classes for all of the Activities Committee members from the stake and the wards so they could "see behind the curtain" and watch how a resource was requested by them, approved by the building scheduler, then an event created on the Ward/Stake calendar that used the now-approved resource. We had very few problems when everyone saw the interactive workflow as a group.

My current stake does not use the LUWS much, and I miss it.
gregneg

member search function

Post by gregneg »

The search function does not return family/ household context. In a world of varying surname conventions, blended families, etc --- it would sure help to have the household info returned by search.

See http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2220 as one example of the "problem"
kmalone-p40

Post by kmalone-p40 »

kmalone wrote:I looked and didn't see this request.

All I want for Christmas is the ability to print a range of months from the calendar rather one by one.

I tell all the aux leaders to please print their calendars they need from the website, it is a pain though to print each month individually.

Well okay they are now printing their calendars. :cool: but now they are copying the calendars on a black/white copier (don't ask). Well guess what, since the the website is color to denote church/stake/ward events, can you guess what happens when they copy on a black/white copier.

Our RS president is very diligent in ensuring her group has a calendar, not that I mind.

So is there away text wise to denote Church vs Stake vs. Ward events in black and white?:rolleyes:
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

kmalone wrote:So is there away text wise to denote Church vs Stake vs. Ward events in black and white?:rolleyes:

One suggestion would be to append the abbreviation of (stk) or (wrd) onto each calendar date. This would denote it appropriately as either a stake or ward event.
kmalone-p40

Post by kmalone-p40 »

Techgy wrote:One suggestion would be to append the abbreviation of (stk) or (wrd) onto each calendar date. This would denote it appropriately as either a stake or ward event.

Thought about that, but though it could be addressed through programming. :D
merrilon

When will the next revision be up and running?

Post by merrilon »

It is nice to see that lots of other LUWS administrators (or assistants) have the same dreams (or nightmares) as I do! Now the big question: Does anyone have any idea as to when the majority of these suggestions will be implemented? Imagine if you will, I used to do this on dial-up! Okay, I'm broadband now! But too much of what we deal with is still back in ancient history! Is there any feedback regarding when we will get a better calendar, or better interface with MLS, or any of the other suggestions mentioned? :confused:
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Merrilon wrote:It is nice to see that lots of other LUWS administrators (or assistants) have the same dreams (or nightmares) as I do! Now the big question: Does anyone have any idea as to when the majority of these suggestions will be implemented? Imagine if you will, I used to do this on dial-up! Okay, I'm broadband now! But too much of what we deal with is still back in ancient history! Is there any feedback regarding when we will get a better calendar, or better interface with MLS, or any of the other suggestions mentioned? :confused:
I would say that there is a good amount of these suggestions that would be implemented at some point in the next few years, some quite a bit sooner than others. I would also say that there might be a somewhat large number of suggestions that just don't get implemented.
dmaynes

Enhancements and ideas for the News/Information section

Post by dmaynes »

I read the thread and didn't find any suggestions in the News/Information area. I'm really trying to think of ways to get the members more involved with the website and the News/Information area has the most potential for doing that. For example,

If LUWS had a "birthday" calendar, then we could automatically overlay birthdays into the calendar. Right now, I am extracting the birthdays manually and then posting them into a News/Information item.

It seems that the News/Information section is really an aggregation of about 4 kinds of information or more. These are: (1) Static and non-ward specific information -- like the hours of the local family history center (2) Static and ward-specific information -- like the regular meeting place for ward choir practice (3) Short-term ticklers and reminders like the selected material for the "Teachings for our times" lesson (4) Dynamic forward-looking information like birthdays, baptisms, the bishop's monthly challenge (5) News that should expire after being posted for a length of time, like a recognition that one of the youth received.

It would be nice to handle these different pieces of information in multiple pages. Some of them should probably reside with the stake. Others should probably be indexed by organization or auxiliary in the ward. But, I am really most interested in managing the dynamic content. For example, I am thinking of having a "getting to know you" section of the News/Information page where we create a write-up on a family that is new (or old) in the ward. We have enough turnover that people feel disconnected and I want to use the website to rebuild a sense of belonging. I think we could do a lot with this, but the single page layout of the News/Information page is very restrictive.

Thanks,
Dennis
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can always attach a PDF to the news event. That gives you more room to play with. However, it is limited in file size.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”