Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmaynes

PDF is a possibility, except ...

Post by dmaynes »

You can always attach a PDF to the news event. That gives you more room to play with. However, it is limited in file size.
My suggestion is to allow a richer page set than the current News/Information single page, linear environment.

For example, it would be great to have a "Resources and Helps" page. From this page you would have other pre-defined or perhaps user defined pages. Some of these might be: "Family History Resources," "Employment Resources," etc. If we had a Family History resources page, I would like to list the ward resources for family history (e.g., ward consultant, family history classes), then I would like to see the stake resources for family history (e.g., stake family history centers in the area, how to request materials from the Family History Library, links to family history resources that appropriate for stake members), then I would like to see on this page the Church resources for family history (e.g., selected links and material from the church websites).

The other problem I am having with a PDF is that the system does not allow me to upload one. I contacted the stake administrator and the reply was to contact the church support. I haven't done that yet, but I will do that later today.

Thanks,
Dennis
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dmaynes wrote:The other problem I am having with a PDF is that the system does not allow me to upload one. I contacted the stake administrator and the reply was to contact the church support. I haven't done that yet, but I will do that later today.

It is true that you cannot attach a PDF to a News and Information item that you are submitting for approval (although I sure wish that were possible). But your stake administrator is mistaken in telling you to contact church support. Your web site administrator (the stake administrator for stake items, the ward administrator for ward items) has the ability to attach a PDF file to a News and Information item. I'm pretty sure that if you do call the Church for help, they will simply tell you to work with your local ward or stake administrator.

If the administrator does not understand this process, he can ask for help using the administrator Feedback link, or he is always welcome to post on this forum where people will be happy to help.
dmaynes

Post by dmaynes »

Your web site administrator (the stake administrator for stake items, the ward administrator for ward items) has the ability to attach a PDF file to a News and Information item. I'm pretty sure that if you do call the Church for help, they will simply tell you to work with your local ward or stake administrator.
Then, it must be broken, because I am the ward administrator and I tried to upload the file several times. Could it be that Google Chrome is not suppored? Where should I ask the question with the specific error message?

I appreciate your help,
Dennis

Addendum: I just tried uploading the file with Firefox and it worked. The PDF upload fails using Google Chrome. Here's the error:
The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Error ID: 843952 Please use the Try Again button.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dmaynes wrote:Then, it must be broken, because I am the ward administrator and I tried to upload the file several times. Could it be that Google Chrome is not supported? Where should I ask the question with the specific error message?

Addendum: I just tried uploading the file with Firefox and it worked. The PDF upload fails using Google Chrome. Here's the error:
Interesting. I really doubt that Google Chrome would be a standard browser that would be tested extensively (or at all) to make sure that LUWS works with it.

In any case, it was good of you to post the exact message so that others can be aware of potential issues using Chrome at this point.
dmaynes

PDF suggestion -- information packet?

Post by dmaynes »

RussellHltn wrote:You can always attach a PDF to the news event. That gives you more room to play with. However, it is limited in file size.
I appreciate the suggestion. About one-third of the entries on my News/Information page are Information. For example, I have information where to find the local institute classes, where to find the local family history centers, where to find the local single adult group, etc.

My preference would be to have a set of web pages with links and photos. But, the LUWS doesn't support that. So, the next best option appears to be to consolidate all of these information items into a "information packet" that I would distribute as a PDF.

I'm sure that many wards have done the same thing. Have you seen other packets like this? It would be useful to have a model to work from.

Thanks,
Dennis
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Since this is a wishlist thread, I would add my desire to be able to post KML and KMZ map files as attachments. That would provide a secure means of disseminating custom ward maps built from MLS data. Even when the Church releases its centralized mapping solutions, one size never fits all.

McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

It's also good practice to post them to the Wiki page for LUWS as well.
zaneclark

Email suggestion...

Post by zaneclark »

I hope that in any new version of the LUWS, serious consideration will be given to making the email broadcast more flexible. In trying to get members, particularly leaders to use the email feature, they point out that they need to communicate with groups that are not listed. For example our stake president is very anxious to use the site, but needs a means to send an email only to the bishops, not the entire bishopric so he uses his own group in his email client as do many others. Perhaps the new and improved email broadcast feature will allow customizing groups.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

Another idea would not to necessarily override it, but to be able to add a comment on it. For example, if they click on the General Relief Society Broadcast, they could see what time dinner starts beforehand in their stake (because the Stake Administrator added a comment).
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

I agree that the best solution would be to light a fire for the Stake Administrator. It's not the Ward Administrator's job to do the Stake Administrator's job, if that makes sense. I typically just send an email with specific details to the Stake Administrator, and let them handle it. If it happens frequently, then perhaps they will be more proactive about updating the site.

Also a common problem is that when an event is rescheduled, nobody specifically tells the Administrator, and they expect the Administrator to glean information from an announcement made. So perhaps nobody is telling the administrator, except for you! So by notifying the Administrator, you are helping them to magnify their calling, right? :)

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”