CUBS: Other: Balances not what they used to be - How do I fix?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

So who is going to explain the disparities in the Other Accounts when the audits are done in February/March with data that doesn't correlate at the end of the year?

I too am waiting for the patch for some of our wards. Not holding my breath though that it will be accomplished prior to the end of the year. That has me wondering what that is going to do to the audits. Expecting some audit exceptions that have no way of being fixed other than by the LUS folks.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Pilotfly wrote:So who is going to explain the disparities in the Other Accounts when the audits are done in February/March with data that doesn't correlate at the end of the year?

I too am waiting for the patch for some of our wards. Not holding my breath though that it will be accomplished prior to the end of the year. That has me wondering what that is going to do to the audits. Expecting some audit exceptions that have no way of being fixed other than by the LUS folks.
Unlike the bug affecting the budget balance, I have not found anything consistent with the bug affecting the other balance. That indicates to me at least that it's going to take a while to identify all the extenuating circumstances that lead to the other balance being off. The fact it's taking this long does not seem to indicate a quick fix :(

When auditing Other this time (and assuming the audit form has not changed), I would suggest making note of the difference between the Oct 20 MLS balance and the Oct 20 UFS starting balance and add that as an item in your "unresolved administrative office adjustments" section (just before #5 in Reconcile of "Other" Category). It is an "explained difference" and therefore should not be listed as an audit exception.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:It is an "explained difference" and therefore should not be listed as an audit exception.
You are correct, if you consider that "explained" is an interesting word that does not necessarily mean "figured out" or "resolved". [grin]

Seriously, we will instruct our auditors to take notes and document, and that this discrepancy may be the norm, and not an exception, during this audit cycle.

All of our auditors are scheduled to have training on the new CUBS system before the February audits, as well.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

lajackson wrote:You are correct, if you consider that "explained" is an interesting word that does not necessarily mean "figured out" or "resolved".
Good point! It definitely does not mean resolved, but I'd argue that it does mean figured out. You know what is causing the difference and you know what has to happen to fix it. However, it is out of your control to do anything about it. Can we assign audit exceptions to CHQ?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:Can we assign audit exceptions to CHQ?

I wish! They would deserve one for this if they do not get it corrected. [grin]

I suspect, though, that there has already been a very big exception noted. I certainly hope the folks there are working on a solution. I would hate to think that we would need to flag the problem for them to fix.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”