CUBS Donor Names

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

I also notice that checking the box to include the spouse on the financial reports creates an entry of "Add participant" on the next financial transmission report. This seems like a bug.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

The CUBS section on donor names in the Wiki should be updated to include this feature.
Currently it doesn't appear.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

aebrown wrote:This has already been done in MLS 3.3. You can edit the donor record (Add/Update Donors) and check the box to include the spouse on donor statements. The donations would still be made typically in the husband's name when you process weekly donations, but if you check that box on the husband's donor record, then donor statements will include both husband and wife's names.

Well, that is backwards. They should have defaulted everyone to have their spouse appear together and have you check a box if you didn't want it that way. That would make more sense, it seems to me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

TinMan wrote:Well, that is backwards. They should have defaulted everyone to have their spouse appear together and have you check a box if you didn't want it that way. That would make more sense, it seems to me.

I disagree. In my very limited understanding of US tax structure, the current default is safer, even if it is less common.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

RussellHltn wrote:I disagree. In my very limited understanding of US tax structure, the current default is safer, even if it is less common.
Why do yo think that?

Especially when it comes out:
Doe, John
Spouse: Doe, Mary

Instead of Doe, John & Mary.

It seems to me that the way it is structured, the IRS would look at it as John Doe's donation and the "Spouse: Doe, Mary" as informational only.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:It seems to me that the way it is structured, the IRS would look at it as John Doe's donation and the "Spouse: Doe, Mary" as informational only.

For tax purposes, if a couple files jointly, any donations made by either person are perfectly acceptable. So "Doe, John", "Doe, Mary", or "Doe, John & Mary" will all work just fine.

But if they file separately, then "Doe, John & Mary" is problematic, since it doesn't specify who made the donation. So the new way of recording these donations works better for that case, which is relatively rare, but does indeed happen, and is just as good for the case of filing jointly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

I think I understand the filing jointly thing, but the way the donor record is printed is

Donor: Doe, John
Spouse: Doe, Mary.

I assume hers would be
Donor: Doe, Mary
Spouse: Doe, John

But in the case of separate filings, Isn't the IRS going to simply look at that first line as the donor?

If it said:
Children: Doe, Steve
Doe, Sue

Are you saying the IRS would look at the earnings of the wife and children? That hasn't been my experience, but perhaps I just haven't had enough. I still don't understand why it is "safer" to have the default be "don't put both names on the donation slip."

But in the grand scheme of things, I suppose it doesn't really matter. It just seems like more work to change 175 records to be joint names and leave the 2 that want separate ones, than the other way around.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Plus, it would be easier going forward if the defaut were both names on the donor records. When someone new moves in the ward and you set up their donation record, it is going to default to the way most people don't want it. It seems to me that since it is such an easy thing to change at Tithing settlement, it would be easier to change only one or two than to change 30 or 40.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:Are you saying the IRS would look at the earnings of the wife and children? That hasn't been my experience, but perhaps I just haven't had enough. I still don't understand why it is "safer" to have the default be "don't put both names on the donation slip."

Nope, I didn't say that.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Okay, then more directly, How is

"problematic" for the IRS? I understand how:

Donor: Doe, John & Mary

would be for those filing separatly, but I don't see how the first one is. It still lists only one "donor." Or so it seems to me.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”