temple (specific) Donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
elderlarryhawkes-p40

Post by elderlarryhawkes-p40 »

I will get more specific information, on what the donations made to Temple (Specific) prior to October 17 look like now, tomorrow. We will also contact LUS and report back.

Thanks again for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.:)
elderlarryhawkes-p40

Post by elderlarryhawkes-p40 »

Here is what I sent to LUS this morning.

Dear LUS,

1. Question) We are looking for Official guidelines on how to proceed in making Temple (specific) donations (now showing as Non-Charitable on all donor statements with the implementation of CUBS), show up as Charitable on donor statements.

2. Question) Can donors still make Temple (specific) Charitable contributions for temple construction? or should all temple construction donations be Processed on the tithing slip line called Temple Construction even if a member specifies a temple on the other line as describe in the new Handbook 1 section 14.4.5?

The following link is an example of a statement with the problem in question 1, which now shows a Non-Charitable total of $260.
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr21 ... ample2.jpg

When reviewing the batches for each entry shown with a red arrow in the image from the above link, each entry is now in a sub category called:
Other:Authorized Member Financed Activities:Brigham City Temple Construction
which is now aNon-Charitablecategory automatically created under the CUBS system.

Before CUBS, all of these entries were in a category called something close to:
Other:Temple(Specific): Brigham City Temple construction,
which was a Charitable category before CUBS.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

86Bengal-p40 wrote:I don't remember an announcement on this category. Do you have a link or a hint where I could learn more?
Probably long-since resolved, but I was incorrect. It was Other: Temple Specific which is now obsolete. this was mentioned in the extremely long message we got just before CUBS was released.
Q. Why do I no longer have the category Other: Temple Specific?
A. Other: Temple Specific has been eliminated. Donations can still be made to the Temple Construction
category.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Sorry to pester this old thread but it was what the searching returned. Tonight I was trying to enter a donation for 'Temple Construction' (non-other, still on donation slips) and I cannot figure out how to do it in MLS (3.4). Has that been removed now or am I just really missing something obvious?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dajoker wrote:Sorry to pester this old thread but it was what the searching returned. Tonight I was trying to enter a donation for 'Temple Construction' (non-other, still on donation slips) and I cannot figure out how to do it in MLS (3.4). Has that been removed now or am I just really missing something obvious?
I just checked and it is still there. It is the seventh item down just below Humanitarian Aid and just above Perpetual Education. MLS still mirrors what is on the Tithing and Other Offerings slip.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

I'm obviously missing something.... here's a screenshot of my MLS:

http://susepaste.org/584d03c8

As this is the Stake version of MLS is it possible there are fewer categories here? Seems odd, but it's the only thing that even remotely makes sense.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dajoker wrote:As this is the Stake version of MLS is it possible there are fewer categories here? Seems odd, but it's the only thing that even remotely makes sense.
The stake version of MLS has some categories that wards don't have, and is missing others that wards do have. Stake MLS is not designed for receiving donations from members. If you'll notice, there is no Tithing or Fast Offering category, either. As with those categories, donations to Temple Construction should be made at the ward level.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Just as a follow-up, the instructions on the wiki ( https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Donation_categories ) were incorrect when they stated to write a check to HQ. Per a response back (due to our check being written to them) I have updated the wiki. If anybody is interested in contact information for the source of that information please let me know, with a way to contact you off of this list, and I'll forward the contact information (avoiding pasting it here, and in the wiki, to avoid getting the poor lady spammed). From her e-mail, though:

<quote>
We no longer receive checks for surplus funds or specific donations. We ask that units put these donations in humanitarian aid, temple construction, perpetual education or temple patrons assistance, rather than creating a specific sub category in Other. People do not receive donation credit any longer when they are recorded this way.
</quote>

In summary 'Temple (specific)' should now be put in the general Temple Construction category. Also, anything pre-CUBS conversion (as was our case) should be moved over to Temple Construction as well, including using an anonymous donor if the previous donor is no longer in the ward (also from the e-mail).

Happy New Year.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”