Deleting/Removing an LDS Account Login?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

It would be nice if developers could provide a dummy account or a standard set of screenshots with a "John Doe" or similar dummy account for each released application/version for anyone who wishes to create documentation. A document with screenshots made by the developers would be a step further! :)
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

I realize this is an older thread, but I came across a reason for removing an account. One of our ward members set up a non-member account shortly after being baptized, when she didn't have her member number handy. She has since established a member account, and now wants to delete the non-member login. (I think she wants to use her "standard" password with the member account, but it's tied up with that other one ...)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

preston.baxter wrote:I think she wants to use her "standard" password with the member account, but it's tied up with that other one ...

I don't think there's any requirement that passwords can't be re-used for another account. If it was the account name, that would be a different story.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I know this is too late for the situation in post 12, but for the benefit of others reading this thread I will post this:
There is no need to create a new account when a non-member is baptized. Just convert the non-member account to a member account by adding the membership record number to the account. And if they want a different user name, a different password, or both, they can change those at any time.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

Point 1. accounts can NOT be deleted. Point 2. Non-members accounts can be changed to a member account by going to the non-member account profile and adding membership number to the account. IF they have 2 accounts, as you described they need to call CHQ and get the 2 accounts merged. to reach CHQ simply call the 24/7 toll free phone number. In the U.S. and Canada that number is 866-406-1830! ask for CHQ support and tell them you need to merge 2 accounts.

If you goto FamilySearch.org and then HELP search for ldsaccount and you will find instructions for managing your LDS account.
hdt912

Re: Deleting/Removing an LDS Account Login?

Post by hdt912 »

I came to this post for the same reason, and although this doesn't help me in my situation, I wanted to answer the question "why would anyone want to delete an account?"
I created an LDS account a while back, and never used it, but synced my membership number to that account. Later I created a second account, which has all my data and records and family search info and indexing records, etc. I'm in seminary and in order to take the test online I need to use my MRN, which u can't add to my current account because it's added to my first one. I can't remove the MRN from the account and I can't sync them. So I can just go back to the old one and start over or I can figure out how to delete it or sync the two accounts.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

hdt912 wrote: I can't remove the MRN from the account and I can't sync them. So I can just go back to the old one and start over or I can figure out how to delete it or sync the two accounts.
Work through your ward clerk to contact the Global Service Center to get some help merging the two accounts.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
timariewardell

Post by timariewardell »

I guess that I have to LDS accounts and I need to remove one. how do I do that
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

See the post just before your post.
JD Lessley
ErekLoosli

Post by ErekLoosli »

I was helping a new member who had inadvertently created a second user profile after forgetting she already had one. I appreciated the post from KenRichins which included the phone number (866-406-1830) at which one can receive assistance to resolve this type of concern.

Interestingly, the representative who assisted me said just the opposite of what KenRichins advised, and told me that while two accounts can NOT be merged, one account/user profile CAN be deleted when the other is the more correct/complete. Perhaps that is a change from 5 years ago when that previous post was composed.

Also, the number above is not for LDS Account management; I believe the individual who answered the phone said he was a FamilySearch volunteer, but he was able to transfer me to the correct "Helpline" and that individual was able to confirm the identities on the accounts and delete the unwanted one.

Thanks again for pointing the way to a solution.

Return to “Church Account”