Calendar sync issues

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
stefpratt

unsubscribed calendars still show up in third party calendar

Post by stefpratt »

I have unsubscribed from calendars I don't want to see, such as Singles and Stake Leadership. They don't show up on the LDS.org calendar, but when I go to my third party calendar (which finally started syncing yesterday, although I tried last week and it wouldn't because the URL changed each time I went to the sync page), it shows all of the calendars. Is it supposed to do that, or should it only show subscribed calendars?
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

The list of subscribed calendars on the right of the main page only toggles the display of subscribed calendars, to unsubscribe you need to go to the select subscriptions page under options and unselect from that page
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
kcushing

Post by kcushing »

Two weeks ago when I tried to add my calendar to my google calendar, it added it and showed no events. So tonight I deleted it and re-added it. This time a message showed that it was importing calendar events from the url, but after 5 minutes a message came up stating there was an error importing events. I am glad to see that others are having success. I guess I'll just keep trying.
stefpratt

Post by stefpratt »

Revisiting that page shows that I did unsubscribe correctly. Any other thoughts?
djdinut1

Calendar sync with Google Calendar problem

Post by djdinut1 »

I'm having the same experience others have commented about.

On about Jan 7 my lds.org calendar started syncing with my Google Calendar. I had purposely subscribed to all my lds.org calendars to be sure I would notice when the sync began to work (I had no success getting a sync before Jan 7). All my events synced over to my Google Calendar.

Things were fine until I went back to my lds.org calendar and unsubscribed from some of the calendars, leaving only those I wanted to retain (yes--I also discovered that unchecking the boxes in the right window of the calendar does not do the job--you must go to Options > Select subscriptions and unsubscribe from there). Now, my calendar on lds.org is correct, not showing those calendars I have unsubscribed from, but my Google Calendar is still showing all of them.

There must be a sync issue between lds.org and Google. Can others confirm this?
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

It's a known problem and there is no fix yet. It has been reported to lds.org via feedback. Cozi works for syncing in the meantime. (Not helpful for WebOS since it doesn't have Cozi for the cloud.)
stefpratt

Cozi

Post by stefpratt »

I beg to differ. While Cozi will sync with the entire calendar for me and Google will not, Cozi displays all calendars, rather than just my subscribed calendars.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

stefpratt wrote:I beg to differ. While Cozi will sync with the entire calendar for me and Google will not, Cozi displays all calendars, rather than just my subscribed calendars.
When you sync with Cozi are you using the URL from the calendar Sync page labeled as Outlook? I would doubt that. Or are you using the one labeled as Google or Apple iCal? That seems more likely (and those are both the same URL: http://lds.org/church-calendar/services ... be/<unique ID>)

The sync URL produces an iCal file that contains events from calendars. There is no way that Cozi can have any knowledge of more events than are contained in that iCal file. So Cozi could only display more than just your subscribed calendars if Google would do the same.

You can test this by copying your unique URL to your browser's address bar. When you go to that URL, your browser will prompt you to save a file. Give it an .ics extension, and then examine it in any text editor. If it contains events that are on calendars that you are not subscribed to, then any external calendar would display those events. I'd be very curious to know if that happens. Please note that the Sync process uses all subscribed calendars, regardless of whether you have checked the box next to each of those calendars on the main calendar page to include them in the display.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

stefpratt wrote:I beg to differ. While Cozi will sync with the entire calendar for me and Google will not, Cozi displays all calendars, rather than just my subscribed calendars.

Do you mean subscribed calendars or displayed calendars?

The subscribed calendars are all the calendars listed on the right hand part of the screen. You can manage this list using the Select Subscriptions menu item under the Options drop down menu. See Viewing Calendars in the calendar help for more information.

The displayed calendars are the subscribed calendars that are also checked on the right side of the screen. These are the calendars that are currently displayed.

The sync function always syncs all subscribed calendars, not just the ones you have displayed. To change the calendars that get synced you need to change your subscriptions as indicated above.
stefpratt

Post by stefpratt »

After looking into it, it appears that the problem is actually that our singles group is posting to the Stake calendar instead of to the Singles calendar, which is why I am still seeing their activities. All is well, thank you for your help.

Return to “Calendar”