PAF on Intel Mac works (and not too hard to do)

Discussions about PAF, PAF SDK, and the future of PAF.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Tsebsietxis wrote:I have also tried to get this to work, but without success.

PAF runs fine (as do other programs), I have menu fonts but the PAF display font is just squares (the same as somtimes when you view a windows file on a Mac or vice versa). Everything else seems to work fine - media view etc, but all text is gone.

Has anybody any suggestions please?

Tseb.
There are some suggestions at the Wine AppDB page for PAF 5:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1706

Scroll down to the second note headline with a dark blue background, the one just below the table with various background colors. That note is a compilation of hints from Clinton Stimpson (and others?) for using PAF with Wine on a Mac.

I'm a volunteer maintainer of that page. While the focus of the page is not Macs, I do what I can to help. If anyone has suggestions for improving the note about using PAF with Wine on a Mac, please let me know.
Tsebsietxis-p40

Post by Tsebsietxis-p40 »

Sorry Brado - that was a tongue-in-cheek British humour type of reply - it wasn't meant to offend!

Stuporglue - I did exactly as you said in your first post... I have already tried changing fonts in PAF with no success - I have also tried other things. I am about to look on the Wine page suggested by rmrichesjr.

Thanks to all.

Tseb.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Tsebsietxis wrote:Sorry Brado - that was a tongue-in-cheek British humour type of reply - it wasn't meant to offend!

No offense taken... just trying to help by offering a solution that I know would work.

I find no humor in British humor for some reason. I know many people like it. :)
Tsebsietxis-p40

Brado, seeing your avatar, are you a musician?

Tseb
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Tsebsietxis wrote:Brado, seeing your avatar, are you a musician?

Tseb

Just as a hobby. In reality, I am a programmer analyst.

Guys: I ran your problem by a friend of mine that does Macs and he highly recommended that you go with VMWare (not Parallels). He said that Parallels is buggy and that their software used to be good but no longer is.

He also said this, and I quote: "I don't understand why people would make their lives harder by trying to use those wine/darwine type solutions. They only work for certain apps."

Since I consider this guy to be pretty smart and since he does do Macs on a regular basis, I would recommend going with his suggestion.

Brad
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

brado426 wrote:I find no humor in British humor for some reason. I know many people like it. :)
Yes, funny stuff if you ask me... :D
cjstimpson-p40

Post by cjstimpson-p40 »

Why not download this and have a try. I've compiled and packaged it in such a way that fonts shouldn't be an issue.

http://pafonmac.googlepages.com/

Its a basic Mac OS X bundle with PAF 5.2 already in it. Just download it and click on it to run PAF.
It does use WINE and X11 though.

But doesn't require booting up in a virtual machine or buying a Windows license.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cjstimpson wrote:with PAF 5.2 already in it
Uhhhh, wouldn't that be considered redistributing software? Is that allowed under the PAF license?
seanmcox-p40

Post by seanmcox-p40 »

The license is pretty short. It doesn't seem to directly prohibit redistribution (at least, if it's not commercial in nature).
Then again, it doesn't expressly grant permission either.
I'm not sure what the prevailing legal doctrine is in such cases. Personally, I redistribute PAF a lot. I suppose I took it for granted that it would be OK, though I know such is not the case for all free software. The Java Runtime Environment, for example, only allows redistribution in certain cases, and until not long ago distribution of the JRE with OS's was not one of those cases (though if I recall correctly, that was unintentional).
Tsebsietxis-p40

Hi cjstimpson,

PAF works wonderfully - I have just wiped my mac with 10.4.10 on it and updated to Leopard, and didn't want to go through all the hassle of reinstalling wine and getting the fonts to work again. Your system is wonderful.
Thank you.

I have had a look at the package you have produced and found PAF inside it. Is it possible to do this for other programs that I know work on WINE? How would I package them as a standalone like that?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tseb.

Return to “Personal Ancestral File (PAF)”