PAF on Intel Mac works (and not too hard to do)

Discussions about PAF, PAF SDK, and the future of PAF.
stuporglue-p40

PAF on Intel Mac works (and not too hard to do)

Post by stuporglue-p40 »

Darwine is a project to get Wine working on Darwin (OSX) in a user friendly-ish way. Developer tools are not required. You will need Apple's X11 installed, and OSX version 10.4. I have version 10.4.10. See the attached screenshots to see the results.

WARNING: Try this at your own risk. It worked for me, and nothing broke. :-)

Here's what I did:

1) Download the Darwine 0.9.43 disk image.

I got it here: http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=14 (At the bottom of his post)
I also mirrored it on my own site here: http://stuporglue.org/downloads/Darwine0.9.43.a.dmg

2) Open the dmg, and copy the entire Darwine folder to your Applications folder

2.1) I ran one of the programs in their "Sample WineLib Applications" folder. The first time Darwine runs, it needs to configure some things. I'm not sure if this step is needed, or if it'll happen when you run the PAF installer.

2.2) Optional, but recomended -- Install libfreetype2 -- See instructions below.
Without libfreetype2, the fonts will be choppy and ugly (but it will still work)

3) Download PAF from FamilySearch.org
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/home/we ... wnload.asp

4) The PAF installer should have the Darwine Platypus icon, and you should be able to just double click it to install it!

Running PAF

Wine programs get installed into the folder /Users/youUserName/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files
The easiest way to run PAF is to make a symlink to it in the Applications folder.
Open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

ln -s ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/FamilySearch/Paf5/paf5.exe /Applications/paf5.exe
You will then be able to double click the PAF icon in your Applications folder

Optional -- Installing FreeType2
Using Fink is the easiest way to do this. Fink will ask you for your Admin password several times. Probably once or twice for each operation.

1) Download the Fink package manager here:
http://www.finkproject.org/download/index.php
You want the latest Binary Installer

2) Open the DMG and run the installer package

3) Open the FinkCommander folder in the DMG and drag-and-drop Fink Commander into your Applications folder.

4) Run Fink Commander
Open the Fink Commander preferences
Choose the Fink tab
Check "Use unstable packages"
Click "Ok"

5) Update Fink's package list
In the menu "Binary" choose "Update Descriptions"

6) In Fink Commander's search bar, search for 'freetype2'
Sort the search results by the 'binary' column, and select the first six packages, which should be : freetype2, freetype2-dev freetype2-shilbs, freetype219, freetype219-shlibs

7) Click the blue plus sign icon on the left side of the Fink Commander menu bar to install those packages
This will do the actual install of these packages

8) Link the Fink library directory to the normal Mac directory
Note: If you play with Unixy stuff on your mac, the following may not apply since you may already have a /usr/local/lib directory. If you do, you probably already know how to work around this.

8.1) Open a terminal make sure that /usr/local exists, if not, make it (just copy and paste this):

sudo mkdir /usr/local
Enter your password when it asks for it.

8.2) Link /usr/local/lib to /sw/lib (just copy and paste this):

sudo ln -s /sw/lib/ /usr/local/lib/
The next time you run a Wine program it will find the freetype2 libraries and fonts will be MUCH better looking.
Attachments
paf.jpg
(79.08 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
paf2.jpg
(92.95 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

That's great you got it working.

I'm one of the AppDB maintainers on the Linux side. One thing that helped the Linux side is to install the Unicode font that comes with the All-Languages flavor of PAF. I wonder if perhaps that might work to simplify the libfreetype2 issues.

Also, on the LInux side, I find if I open PAF's help viewer (the yellow question mark) and navigate around to several places in the document, then use my window manager's menu to close the help viewer (but keep PAF's window open), PAF will stall for a few seconds and then blow up with an unhandled page fault. (The help window didn't work at all on the Linux side until recently, and it has had unhandled page fault issues with some Wine versions since then.)
stuporglue-p40

What font does it install?

Post by stuporglue-p40 »

I'm one of the AppDB maintainers on the Linux side. One thing that helped the Linux side is to install the Unicode font that comes with the All-Languages flavor of PAF. I wonder if perhaps that might work to simplify the libfreetype2 issues.
On Linux that did help :-) When I first installed PAF on Linux all the fonts were Tamil fonts.

How could I test that? Does PAF install it by default? The intaller I ran is called "PAF5EnglishSetup.exe", but had Chinese, English, German, Japanese, Korean and Swedish as language options.

The attached screenshot shows what fonts look like without freetype2. Note the shifted tabs, and the missing text on the confirmation window. The PAF help file's text (not shown) appears skewed and is nearly illegible.

Thanks,
Michael
Attachments
paf_noFreeType2.jpg
(78.62 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

That screenshot is pretty bad. The program would not really be usable in that condition.

The unicode font is an installation option if you install PAF by using the http://ftp.ldscatalog.com/PAF5AllLangs.exe installer. That installer is also on the CD in the Download directory if you have the CD. If you have the CD, there is a file PAF5Font.exe on the CD, also in the Download directory, that will install just the unicode font if you have installed PAF using a different installer.
stuporglue-p40

Unicode fonts didn't help

Post by stuporglue-p40 »

The Unicode fonts didn't help. :-(

What may work and make things simpler is if someone is willing to have me send them a zipped copy of my lib directory, and see if installing just that directory is sufficient.

Thanks,

Michael
Tsebsietxis-p40

Post by Tsebsietxis-p40 »

I have also tried to get this to work, but without success.

PAF runs fine (as do other programs), I have menu fonts but the PAF display font is just squares (the same as somtimes when you view a windows file on a Mac or vice versa). Everything else seems to work fine - media view etc, but all text is gone.

Has anybody any suggestions please?

Tseb.
brado426

Here is a guaranteed way to make it work

Post by brado426 »

Tsebsietxis-p40

Post by Tsebsietxis-p40 »

I don't wish to use parallels - more disk space, a registered copy of XP, the clunky windows interface and tacky icons - the whole windows thing (I don't mean to be rude - I just don't like windows). I just want to run one program, not have all the security headaches of windows on my Mac! To me Darwine seems the obvious solution.
stuporglue-p40

Post by stuporglue-p40 »

Tsebsietxis wrote:I have menu fonts but the PAF display font is just squares

Has anybody any suggestions please?
Using either your familiarity with PAF or by looking at a working copy on Windows, get the preferences screen up and change the fonts that are used. The menus should work despite the messed up fonts, and when you choose a new font and apply your changes, the text areas should become visible.

Edit: Did you get the freetype2 libraries installed and linked as in the optional section? The optional part of it is because you don't *have* to, but if you don't you will have to change the font. If you do it, the fonts should look (more) normal.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Hey, you asked for a solution.... I gave you one.

Parallels allows you to do seamless applications which means they look like they're running on your OSX desktop when they aren't. I don't do Macs, but if I did, I would definitely use parallels to keep myself compatible with the rest of the world.

Return to “Personal Ancestral File (PAF)”