Email Broadcast on New Site?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
kisaac
Community Moderators

New Feature: Broadcast emails!

Post by kisaac »

kisaac wrote:The email functions in the new lds.org seem to be in their infancy, and I hope they will be updated....

1) There is no "broadcast email" function that will email your ward, that I've found.

NOTE: these features are changing rapidly, so if this message is very old, it probably is out of date!
Now the thread is old...broadcast emails have arrived:

Using the "clerk and leader services" for bishoprics (including clerks and secretaries and some assistants) You can use the "send a message" function in the "Leader and clerk resources" tool, https://lds.org/leader?lang=eng.

You can select all ward members, or any number of groups such as all Youth, or RS sisters or priesthood holders, etc. Much improved from the "classic" broadcast email features.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

kisaac wrote:Now the thread is old...broadcast emails have arrived:

Using the "clerk and leader services" for bishoprics (including clerks and secretaries and some assistants) You can use the "send a message" function in the "Leader and clerk resources" tool, https://lds.org/leader?lang=eng.

You can select all ward members, or any number of groups such as all Youth, or RS sisters or priesthood holders, etc. Much improved from the "classic" broadcast email features.
There seems to be some problems....I just looked at it and there were some odd commands with a lot of question marks....looks like a few bugs need to be fixed....but it is close! Thank you!
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

zaneclark wrote:There seems to be some problems....I just looked at it and there were some odd commands with a lot of question marks....looks like a few bugs need to be fixed....but it is close! Thank you!
Just tried it again and it seems to work great... I haven't had any feedback from members yet, but assume that they have received my email broadcast. I did notice that it uses my full name in the "from" line. This, along with the added "Brother" is a little more formal than I normally use in my correspondence with the members.... I don't suppose there is any way to change this?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

In the "old" LUWS, a member had to be registered before they could receive a broadcast email. In the new site, is this still necessary or will their email address be pulled from the MLS, even if they don't have an LDS Account?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

zaneclark wrote:In the "old" LUWS, a member had to be registered before they could receive a broadcast email. In the new site, is this still necessary or will their email address be pulled from the MLS, even if they don't have an LDS Account?

I must assume that you're referring to a method of doing a broadcast to everyone in your ward.
As the STS for our stake I didn't see any way of sending an Email to anyone who wasn't listed in a ward/stake leadership position. Perhaps I simply missed a link somewhere ?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
samliddicott

Post by samliddicott »

zaneclark wrote:In the "old" LUWS, a member had to be registered before they could receive a broadcast email. In the new site, is this still necessary or will their email address be pulled from the MLS, even if they don't have an LDS Account?

I expect that this behaviour will vary over regions according to national law. Some jurisdictions may require that members explicitly opt-in to receiving messages, and mere entry in the directory may not be the same thing especially if it was entered by a clerk. Church having your email address (however they may have managed it) isn't the same thing as wanting to be spammed by your ward leaders.

Email can be problematic in may ways:
1. people may often share an email address
2. non-shared email addresses might also not be private
3. an email sent is not always an email received
4. received emails are not always read on any particular schedule - sometimes very rarely
5. not all those with a registered address use it (really the same as 4 but worth repeating)
6. not every-one has an email address and those without can feel disenfranchised if important information is transferred only this way or much sooner by email

So it seems to me that except in well controlled conditions (and that takes effort) broadcast emails must be combined with telephone calls and checking by the clerk.

Or, in other words, broadcasts are most useful when they don't matter very much, or, ironically, when they matter very very very much (like emergency situations).
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

techgy wrote:I must assume that you're referring to a method of doing a broadcast to everyone in your ward.
As the STS for our stake I didn't see any way of sending an Email to anyone who wasn't listed in a ward/stake leadership position. Perhaps I simply missed a link somewhere ?
On the Leader and Clerk Resources page, there is a link to "Send a Message" on the upper right. On the ward level, this gives you the option of sending a message to various groups including all the members. There still seems to be a bug, as a test message I sent out yesterday only went to a few members whose first names were from a to k... The leaders messages did seem to work, as I used the bishopric as a test group.
jtboswell

Send Message Feature Possible Bugs

Post by jtboswell »

Dear Support,

We do a lot of communication via email in the Ward. The old email broadcast system had a button that automatically included all registered users.

The new system has a number of links, including "Entire Adult", "Entire Membership". When I click on those, I get 2 people.

If I then click on "Relief Society" and "All MP" I might get another 10 or so.

Then if I click down through the rest of of the list I pick up a few more here and there.

We have about

My question is this:

What do I need to do inside of MLS... or what do I need to tell my Ward members to do inside of their LDS Account... in order to send an email to all the Ward members in a single click like I did with the old system?

Thank you!
jtboswell

Post by jtboswell »

When I use this feature and want to go to the entire ward (all registered users with emails that is), I click on "Entire Membership"... and I get 2 emails. To get the rest, I have to click on every single link under Membership to get more emails to populate. Anyone else having these issues? Do we need to set up MLS differently? Should we instruct members to do something in their LDS Account? It would be great to know the "secret sauce" here so we can make this feature functional for us. Because of the large geographic distances, my ward is very responsive to email and uses it a lot. (NOTE: I posted a similar set of question in the tech help forum... and then found this thread... not sure where is best...)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jtboswell wrote:Dear Support,
Welcome to the forum. Although we're happy to help with your question, please note that this is not any kind of official "Support" system. This is just a community of people who help each other and share ideas, questions, and answers.

If you want your request to actually go to the responsible people at the Church, use the Submit Feedback link at the bottom of the home page of lds.org.
jtboswell wrote:We do a lot of communication via email in the Ward. The old email broadcast system had a button that automatically included all registered users.
new system has a number of links, including "Entire Adult", "Entire Membership". When I click on those, I get 2 people.

If I then click on "Relief Society" and "All MP" I might get another 10 or so.

Then if I click down through the rest of of the list I pick up a few more here and there.
It appears that there are currently some bugs in the implementation. This topic has been addressed in this thread, and also on the thread Email broadcast not working....
jtboswell wrote:What do I need to do inside of MLS... or what do I need to tell my Ward members to do inside of their LDS Account... in order to send an email to all the Ward members in a single click like I did with the old system?
There's nothing you need to do inside of MLS to make this work; the bug will have to be fixed by the development team. Of course, having accurate email addresses in MLS will improve the distribution of any broadcast messages. A clerk can enter those in MLS, or members can update email addresses themselves using the new Directory on lds.org.

But please note that the messaging system you mentioned above is part of the Leader Portal; just as with the old LUWS system, members do not have an ability to send messages to the entire ward. They can send messages using the Directory to individuals, or to groups of auxiliary or quorum leaders, but not to the whole ward.

[Note: I deleted your duplicate post and moved this post and my reply to this existing thread. Please post questions to only one thread.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”