PAF Backup????

Discussions about PAF, PAF SDK, and the future of PAF.
steph.younger

Post by steph.younger »

In theory, here's how my family's collaboration would work using RootsMagic (if I could get them involved).
1. I link up the individuals my RM database to nFS (done)
2. I distribute copies of my database to my family along with RM (done)
3. As they update the database, they sync the info to nFS (here's where the system breaks down)
4. RM notifies me when someone in our tree is updated in nFS
5. I evaluate the info and sync it to my local RM database

Like I said ... it's only a theory until I can test it. I'm considering setting myself on two separate computers, just to see if everything works.
- Stephen
DrDirt-p40

Post by DrDirt-p40 »

What, if anything is lost when converting over to Ancestral Quest? Does it import the date seamlessly? Does it contain all the LDS specific info fields? Thanks for the ideas guys. I really appreciate it.
steph.younger

Post by steph.younger »

I'm not an AQ user, but I know there are a lot of folks in our FHC that like it. There's a pretty good write-up and PAF comparison[ on their website and even a demo version, if you'd like to take it for a test drive.
- Stephen
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DrDirt wrote:What, if anything is lost when converting over to Ancestral Quest? Does it import the date seamlessly? Does it contain all the LDS specific info fields? Thanks for the ideas guys. I really appreciate it.
AQ can run PAF file natively. So you can play with it without converting your file. I'm not sure, but I'd imagine you must lose a few features by not converting to AQ's format, but I don't know what they are.

There is no free version of AQ, but there is a trial version. And it costs about as much as PAF 2 did when it first came out - and that's without adjusting for inflation.

I'm not trying to champion AQ over the other choices (some of which do have free versions), but I do think AQ has the easiest transition from PAF of any of them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
whitcomb

Post by whitcomb »

RussellHltn wrote:Never used it myself, but I was going to suggest that - I just couldn't remember the name.

I'd add a third possible downside - others outside of the family might add questionable information to your tree.

Having been a user of PHPGedview - it's not bad for what it does, however I had cousins who had trouble, uploading data that needed to be merged into the mysql database.

The comment about others adding questionable data to the family occurs right now with New Family Search sometimes .. silly people desiring to submit "anything" to take to the Temple. Just like adding pictures or audio to a online family tree -- people should add jpegs of their source documents too.. :mad:

Return to “Personal Ancestral File (PAF)”