Tithe Online

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
silverlight

Tithe Online

Post by silverlight »

I don't know if this has been suggested before and discussed. I tried searching, but didn't come up with anything.

I'm sure that tithe is probably a very complex process behind the scenes, after I hand my little envelope to the bishopric. That said, I can see how making the option available online through lds.org could simplify some parts of the process.

For me, on my end, it saves me a trip to make a money order (I don't have a bank account), and the return trip after I realize I sealed my envelope without putting said money order in with my statement. Being able to pay online would make tithe paying easier as I could pay before life nickles and dimes away my best intentions.

On the church's end, the transaction is already digital, and with some scripting, already added to the correct records, and ledgers to reduce some load on the ward clerk. Tithe payments could be linked to user's web accounts so they could keep better track of tithe paid, so at the end of the year, when the bishop asks if you're a full-tithe payer, you don't have to wonder whether you might have missed a month or 2.

There is probably a lot of work involved in creating something like this, and to be honest, I have no idea how much. But if I were to have just one wish for lds.org, being able to pay my tithe (and fast offering!) online would be it.
smodell

Post by smodell »

I agree, the time has come that the Chuch should be able to do electronic transfers from a member's bank.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's probably in the works, but it will happen when it will happen. There are many priorities and limited resources to do the work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

silverlight wrote:For me, on my end, it saves me a trip to make a money order (I don't have a bank account)...
Unfortunately what you envision requires some sort of bank account to do. On-line transactions for the most part require either a bank account, charge card, or something similar to do an electronic transfer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

silverlight wrote:I don't know if this has been suggested before and discussed. I tried searching, but didn't come up with anything.
If you select the Advanced Search link (top-right) and enter the keywords electronic donations, you will find several threads discussing this at length.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
silverlight

Post by silverlight »

jdlessley wrote:Unfortunately what you envision requires some sort of bank account to do. On-line transactions for the most part require either a bank account, charge card, or something similar to do an electronic transfer.
I use a pre-paid credit card for all of my online bill paying and purchases. My paycheck is direct deposited onto it. Without sounding like an ad for the thing, it's all of the benefits of a bank account, none of the negatives (fees, overdraft, etc).
Mikerowaved wrote:If you select the Advanced Search link (top-right) and enter the keywords electronic donations, you will find several threads discussing this at length.

I did do some further searching this morning and found links to a wiki that had been removed, I will look up electronic donations and see if it has more information. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

silverlight wrote:I use a pre-paid credit card for all of my online bill paying and purchases. My paycheck is direct deposited onto it. Without sounding like an ad for the thing, it's all of the benefits of a bank account, none of the negatives (fees, overdraft, etc).

Some people might consider that a type of bank account.

Under the category of "Family Safety with Technology", I think there's a certain amount of risk in this setup. Many years ago I had my checking account cleaned out by a check forger just before a weekend. I couldn't write a check and couldn't use a ATM. The bank was closed for the weekend, so I was left for a few days with absolutely no money but what little was in my wallet. I had to borrow a few bucks off a family member to get by. I would strongly suggest you have a backup plan should something similar happen to you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

If anybody from the UK is reading this thread then your answer to this is almost yes (as long as you are a tax payer):
http://www.lds.org.uk/member-area/gift-aid/
Velska

Post by Velska »

I don't like to brag, but I've paid my donations through a direct bank transfer for about 20 years now, 15 of it over the Internet. That's the degenerate Scandinavia for you...
claydiffrient

Post by claydiffrient »

In Switzerland member's almost always pay through bank transfer. I wonder when it will become common place in the US as well.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”