FM taking responsibility for Meetinghouse Internet Connections

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
knaptonks

Post by knaptonks »

We posted a new wiki page today regarding the responsibilities with regard to Meetinghouse Internet. Hopefully this will help clarify the roles and responsibilities between the STS and the FM. Take a look at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Roles_and_res ... nternet%29.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

knaptonks wrote:We posted a new wiki page today regarding the responsibilities with regard to Meetinghouse Internet. Hopefully this will help clarify the roles and responsibilities between the STS and the FM. Take a look at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Roles_and_res ... nternet%29.

Thanks for adding this page. One thing that I might suggest with installation of network cabling is that if the STS has the knowledge and equipment to do it, then we should donate our time to helping out and save the church some money.

It is very expensive to get a contractor in to pull wire for one or two drops. They will charge the most they can because it is a lot of work to install just two drops. I do that for my stake and it is also great because I know where the wires run in the building and if there is a problem, I know where to look for the problem.

Just my thoughts.
knaptonks

Post by knaptonks »

harddrive wrote: One thing that I might suggest with installation of network cabling is that if the STS has the knowledge and equipment to do it, then we should donate our time to helping out and save the church some money.
This is a great idea, and would indeed save some money. The STS could certainly volunteer to do this work, but the final decision needs to be left to the facilities management group to decide whether it is worth the expense to hire a contractor, or whether they would prefer to save the costs and allow the STS to do this work. One of the considerations they need to be concerned about is the liability associated with making these types of changes in a building, as well as what the building will look like when the work is completed. The FM and STS should work very closely together to determine whether the work should be done by the STS or whether they should hire a "professional". At the end of the day, however, the FM will be the one held accountable for this work, which is the concept we were trying to get across with the table on the wiki page mentioned above.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

harddrive wrote:One thing that I might suggest with installation of network cabling is that if the STS has the knowledge and equipment to do it, then we should donate our time to helping out and save the church some money.
There are also building codes to be considered. The NEC can be pretty picky at times, like when plenum cable needs to be used and what types of other cables can be in the same conduit, etc., etc. We used volunteer help to pull cables, but it was always under the direction of someone with experience and know-how. This person was usually a licensed contractor in the stake (often willing to volunteer their time also.)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not to mention fire codes when dealing with the proper way of going though walls and stuff. It all seems simple, but unless you're in the industry, there's lots non-obvious ways of getting in trouble.

Buildings are the FM group's responsibility. It's up to them to make sure all work done on them is done according to the laws of the land.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”