New Calendar Date Format Error

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lanestevens

New Calendar Date Format Error

Post by lanestevens »

When I attempt to add an event (all-day event in this case) the system complains about the format of the end date. I have attempted this in Chrome and Firefox and get the same results. I don't have easy access to IE.

Also - odd behavior is that when I click to add an event, I get an event that straddles two days. So, when I attempt to correct the end date, the system complains that the format of the date is not correct. The format of the date matches the requested format (dd mon yyyy).

Has anyone else seen this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lanestevens wrote:When I attempt to add an event (all-day event in this case) the system complains about the format of the end date. I have attempted this in Chrome and Firefox and get the same results. I don't have easy access to IE.

Also - odd behavior is that when I click to add an event, I get an event that straddles two days. So, when I attempt to correct the end date, the system complains that the format of the date is not correct. The format of the date matches the requested format (dd mon yyyy).

Has anyone else seen this?
I duplicated both behaviors on Firefox about 15 minutes ago -- but only briefly. Then when I tried it again just a few minutes later, everything was working fine again. I am now unable to reproduce either problem. So I can confirm what you saw, but I am unable to explain why it was so temporary.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

Hi Lane. Was this in the week or month view? Or did it happen in both? Did the problem happen when you clicked on the Create Event button or only when you clicked in the calendar grid? Were you picking dates from the date picker or typing in the dates? Also, what were the dates that the system was complaining about?

I can't replicate the problem but I certainly would like to try and track it down.
lanestevens

Post by lanestevens »

kyleq wrote:Hi Lane. Was this in the week or month view? Or did it happen in both? Did the problem happen when you clicked on the Create Event button or only when you clicked in the calendar grid? Were you picking dates from the date picker or typing in the dates? Also, what were the dates that the system was complaining about?

I can't replicate the problem but I certainly would like to try and track it down.
This was in the month view. I clicked on the calendar grid. I tried both the date picker and entry of the dates. I confirmed that the values in the date field were formatted correctly and that there was not any extraneous whitespace. I also tried to copy/paste the date from the "start" field which wasn't complained about.

Since the validation flagged a format issue in the field, I was unable to proceed with the creation of the event.

In one case, I was able to successfully reuse an event that was to be deleted and re-purpose it for the event that I was trying to create. In the another case, I accepted the incorrect end date and then attempted to edit the date. Oddly, when I opened the event to edit it, the date had corrected itself from the wrong date (one day ahead) to the right date.

BTW, I was doing this after 10:00PM MST. I wondered if there was an issue with the timezone setting and it was picking up EST, thus rolling me into another day. If I click on a calendar grid this morning, both the start and end dates are the date clicked, and are correct.

Come to think of it, I started adding calendar events before 10:00pm MST and spanned into the 10:00pm hour. It was only the later entries where this was a problem. Maybe that's a red herring, but may be worth a try. The previous poster responded to the post after 11:00pm. Perhaps there is something in the window 10:00pm MST - 11:00pm MST.

Hope this helps.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

When adding an event, the calendar app populates the starting date and time with the current date and time and an event length of 1 hour. When I have been adding events after 11PM at night, they automatically span 2 days because anything 1 hour after 11:00PM end in the following day (as it should). If I then set the event to be "all day" without adjusting the start and end times to be earlier in the day and then adjusting the end date to be the same as the start date, I get usually results I didn't intend, or I get errors. For me this means that, when entering events late at night, I have to manually reset the end date to the current date.

On a different note, a pleasant feature I have discovered is that I can enter time using military format and it is automatically converted. For example, I can enter 1310 for the time, and it will automatically convert to 1:10 p.m., and 0845 converts to 8:45 a.m. This has been a great time saver in adjusting the default start and end times the event is initially populated with.
NTSmith26

Re: New Calendar Date Format Error

Post by NTSmith26 »

This has reappeared as an issue. When selecting All-Day for an event either in Chrome or in Edge the event expands to be from a single day to a three day event. No work around that I can find. Any idea fix?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: New Calendar Date Format Error

Post by lajackson »

NTSmith26 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:28 pm No work around that I can find. Any idea fix?
There is no known fix. Daylight Saving Time ends in the U.S. on November 6. After this coming Sunday, I would go into the Calendar and check everything, adjusting events that are an hour off or that take three days instead of one, fixing false start/stop times that were entered as a temporary work around, and anything else that needs fixing.

Everything then should be good and stable for at least four months until March 12, 2023, when DST kicks in once again in the U.S. I would go into Calendar in March and do the same thing. I have an entry for fixing the Calendar on my own personal calendar twice a year.

For what it is worth, the Google Calendar interface on my smarter-than-I-am phone cannot get it right, either. This has been a problem with the Church Calendar ever since it went online many, many years ago. And sometimes the problem does not even reside with the Church. It is caused by all of the other calendar systems and programs that try to help each other out between the time an event is recorded and when it is displayed on a particular laptop or other device.

Return to “Calendar”