Recording deaths of members

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
vsilcox
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:50 am

Recording deaths of members

Postby vsilcox » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:52 am

Where in the MLS do go to record the death of a member?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15100
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:32 am

vsilcox wrote:Where in the MLS do go to record the death of a member?


Using the main user interface panels, go to Membership Records > View and Update > Death of Member.
Or, using the menu, go to Membership > Records > Death of Member.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

celeronsean
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 am

Death of a member

Postby celeronsean » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:32 am

How long should it take to reflect the death of a member after being entered into MLS? We recently recorded the death but the member still shows on the ward roster.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15100
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:50 am

celeronsean wrote:How long should it take to reflect the death of a member after being entered into MLS? We recently recorded the death but the member still shows on the ward roster.


That depends on what you mean by "ward roster". If you mean that the individual record is still in MLS, then that seems unusual -- the record should go away quickly. I would think it would take no more than a day.

If you are referring to the new online Directory on lds.org, then I could see a somewhat longer delay; it might take up to three days.

But in any case, make sure that you recorded the death properly and didn't make the mistake described in this post. Because if you made the mistake of recording the death only on the spouse's record, the records will never be updated as you hope until the death is recorded properly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

JamesAnderson
Senior Member
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Postby JamesAnderson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:21 pm

We had a member die in our ward recently, the death was recorded one evening, and within two days it was gone from the lds.org directory as well.

One thing that has nagged family history people is the fact that the death PLACE if known when the bishop or clerk is informed of the death gets the information and records it in MLS is not taken. This information is thus not put into nFS (new FamilySearch) so that has to often be put in later, if anyone remembers to, by the member's family if other relatives are members and use that site. Any chance of fixing this so that the death location can be added in at the time the record is sent back to Salt Lake? Would have to be optional (but available) as sometimes the information on the death place is not always given.

jgcastle
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Re: Recording deaths of members

Postby jgcastle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:55 am

I am the membership clerk for Lorain Ward in Ohio. I have a question. [-- Removed a whole bunch of personal information --]

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 2075
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: Recording deaths of members

Postby scgallafent » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:16 am

See the reply to your other message. Please also note that the forum code of conduct asks that you please stay on topic (don't start a new topic in an existing thread) and not post the same message in multiple threads.

davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re:

Postby davesudweeks » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:06 pm

JamesAnderson wrote:We had a member die in our ward recently, the death was recorded one evening, and within two days it was gone from the lds.org directory as well.

One thing that has nagged family history people is the fact that the death PLACE if known when the bishop or clerk is informed of the death gets the information and records it in MLS is not taken. This information is thus not put into nFS (new FamilySearch) so that has to often be put in later, if anyone remembers to, by the member's family if other relatives are members and use that site. Any chance of fixing this so that the death location can be added in at the time the record is sent back to Salt Lake? Would have to be optional (but available) as sometimes the information on the death place is not always given.

I think this is a great suggestion, but it will probably not get to those who make the programming decisions when posted here. Four members of our ward passed away in 2018 and I knew the city they died in in every case but there was nowhere for me as the ward clerk to record that. I suggest you post it via feedback from lds.org. That feedback is read and forwarded to those who consider/set the programmer's priorities.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests