LDS Account for a Nonmember

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
nutterb

LDS Account for a Nonmember

Post by nutterb »

We have an adult in our ward who is technically an investigator, but has been attending the ward regularly for several months. We anticipate his baptism occurring during the summer of this year. In the meantime, he and the ward leaders would like for him to be able to access the online resources for our ward.

Is it possible for him to sign up for an LDS Account and have it associated with our ward without a membership record?

If we create a non-member record, will he be able to use that to create an LDS Account?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nutterb wrote:We have an adult in our ward who is technically an investigator, but has been attending the ward regularly for several months. We anticipate his baptism occurring during the summer of this year. In the meantime, he and the ward leaders would like for him to be able to access the online resources for our ward.

Is it possible for him to sign up for an LDS Account
Yes.
nutterb wrote:...and have it associated with our ward without a membership record?

No. Since he has no membership record, it can't be associated with your ward.
nutterb wrote:If we create a non-member record, will he be able to use that to create an LDS Account?

No. First of all, policy says that you shouldn't be creating a nonmember record in this case:
A nonmember record can be created for a person who is not a member of the Church but who has family members who are members of the Church. The nonmember record is created to record family relationships so that the nonmember can be listed with other family members. This should only be done for individuals who live in the ward boundaries.
Second, since a nonmember record is a temporary record, it does not have a membership record number that would allow it to be tied to an LDS Account.

I can understand why this might be desirable, but there is no way to do it now technically. Even nonmember spouses don't have a way to access Church online resources at this point (although this is under development).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

He can create a non-member LDS Account, but I know of no way of getting access to the ward resources with that.

I doubt if the non-member record number would work for signing up for a "member" LDS Account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I figured that's what the answer would be. I'm really not a big fan of outliers.

Return to “Church Account”