LDS Tools for Blackberry

Discussions around the BlackBerry version of the LDS Tools application.
techgy
Community Moderators

LDS Tools for Blackberry

Post by techgy »

Does anyone have any information about LDS Tools being available for the Blackberry?
The Mobile Applications site doesn't show it, but a friend of mine acquired it a while ago in beta format.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

techgy wrote:Does anyone have any information about LDS Tools being available for the Blackberry?
The Mobile Applications site doesn't show it, but a friend of mine acquired it a while ago in beta format.

The Wiki dev page contains a link to an alpha version, not beta. Perhaps that is what your friend is running.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RossEvans wrote:The Wiki dev page contains a link to an alpha version, not beta. Perhaps that is what your friend is running.

Thanks! As I haven't seen what he has, I don't know, but I'll pass this along.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
danmcf

Post by danmcf »

Cool.... That version does work. It is not pretty nor are there callings yet. But it is functional.... it will help during my travels with the Elders.
csession

Post by csession »

I am kind of stuck on the Blackberry platform, but none of the new LDS.org Apps will
work on the Blackberry Browser -- I get browser errors before the SSO login.

I have been delighted with the unapproved, non-sanctioned, not-endorsed 3rd
party iStake application. It works great for accessing the ward list and
calendar on the legacy https://secure.lds.org/units login.

The problem is that my ward moved to using the new LDS.org tools for their
ward calendar and no updates are being made to the old calendar that iStake
uses.

Q1: Which data sources does the "LDS Tools for iPhone" use? Legacy or
new?

Q2: What is the roadmap for allowing developers for platforms other than
iDevices? Could the developer leverage access to the personal feeds for the
calendar found here: https://lds.org/church-calendar/export.jsp

Thanks
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

csession wrote:Q1: Which data sources does the "LDS Tools for iPhone" use? Legacy or
new?

LDS Tools does not scrape either the old or new web site, but it is populated by special web services closely related to the new web site. So its calendar data would be the new calendar.
csession wrote:Q2: What is the roadmap for allowing developers for platforms other than
iDevices?

There is no roadmap that I know of allowing third-party developers to access the web services API, which are intended for Church-sponsored "Community" developers. In practice, that restriction is not yet being enforced, but I expect it to be someday.

There is a roadmap for Community development of LDS Tools on other devices. See the main Wiki page for LDS Tools. If you follow the links there to the Blackberry project, you will see that it is in an early stage.
csession wrote:Could the developer leverage access to the personal feeds for the
calendar found here: https://lds.org/church-calendar/export.jsp

I don't see why not. (Note that this is a different method than using the calendar web service described above.)
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

There is a new release available: http://jimmy.devenport.org/bb/lds/LdsTools.jad
It adds callings, some gui enhancements, and bug fixes (does not include any calendar functionality). Hopefully the official beta will be available soon through lds.org. Waiting for approval from IP/Correlation department.
jgourlie

Post by jgourlie »

mstauff wrote:There is a new release available: http://jimmy.devenport.org/bb/lds/LdsTools.jad
It adds callings, some gui enhancements, and bug fixes (does not include any calendar functionality). Hopefully the official beta will be available soon through lds.org. Waiting for approval from IP/Correlation department.

that link just downloaded the older alpha version .343 or whatever it was....is there a different link for the newer version??
jgdtech

Link fixed

Post by jgdtech »

Link fixed. Should show up as version 0.0.35.
jgourlie wrote:that link just downloaded the older alpha version .343 or whatever it was....is there a different link for the newer version??
steve.nahas

Just downloaded version 0.0.35 ..

Post by steve.nahas »

As a long time Bberry user and (former) iStake customer ... this application is coming along nicely! A few comments:

- Any ETA on version 1.0? ... (or even the next beta release?)
- Do you have plans to integrate with Bberry contacts?
- Any plans to add basic reports from MLS?
- Any plans to consider user access rights to view b-days, etc?

I like the idea to allow the user the choice to utilize Google Maps ... like to see that in the next release.

Overall - very well done. Thank you!

Return to “BlackBerry LDS Tools”