Handbook Reference for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting...

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
nathangg

Handbook Reference for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting...

Post by nathangg »

I was looking in the Handbook (1/2) for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting if both of the counselors are gone.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Searching hasn't turned up anything (but I'm sure my word choice is poor and I'm just not able to find it).

Thanks~!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nathangg wrote:I was looking in the Handbook (1/2) for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting if both of the counselors are gone.

When the entire bishopric is not there, the stake president designates who presides. See Section 18.2 in Handbook 2.

But that section mentions only one replacement (typically the HPGL). That seems to imply to me that it's just fine to have one presiding officer on the stand. So I see no reason to have anyone there as an authority figure, but if the bishop would like someone to help him with logistics, he could invite anyone he wants.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

I once had the teachers and deacon quorums presidents sit with me. The TQ president was excited because he got to run the pulpit up and down.

I usually have the EQ president and the HPGL if both counselors are gone. I like having someone else on the stand in case there is an emergency or some other problem someone needs to attend to. The High Councilor for our ward could be another choice. If nothing else, it would keep him awake...
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

I just sit on my own. No big deal.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nathangg wrote:I was looking in the Handbook (1/2) for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting if both of the counselors are gone.
There is no requirement for anyone to sit with him. Except for Fast Sunday, there will normally be other speakers on the stand.
bch36

Re: Handbook Reference for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting...

Post by bch36 »

In the most recent handbook version:

Presiding at Sacrament Meeting
"The bishop presides at sacrament meeting unless a member of the stake presidency, an Area Seventy in his area, or a General Authority attends. If the bishop and his counselors are not able to attend sacrament meeting, the stake president designates who presides. Normally he designates the elders quorum president. However, he could invite another priesthood holder, preferably a high priest or elder."

No mention of anything special if it's just the Bishop.
BrianEdwards

Re: Handbook Reference for who should sit with the bishop during sacrament meeting...

Post by BrianEdwards »

I think there's still a potential difference between who is presiding, and where the presiding leader sits. The current Handbook does speak specifically about the "presiding" aspect, but from what I can tell, is silent regarding where anyone needs to sit during sacrament meeting. Including the Bishop. I'm not saying the Bishop should be sitting with his family in the congregation ;) , but I do find it interesting that there's no instructions requiring the presiding leader sitting up front (many units throughout the world meet in various locations which do not have a stand or maybe even pulpit). So my takeaway is that the local leaders (Bishops/Stake Presidents) have discretion to determine what they feel is best for situations where the Bishop would be "alone" on the stand... or what to do when a Stake Counselor attends but could possibly wish to sit with his family and still be the presiding officer.

I know there's a lot I don't know, so if anyone knows where additional guidance is provided, please share!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:41 pm The current Handbook does speak specifically about the "presiding" aspect, but from what I can tell, is silent regarding where anyone needs to sit during sacrament meeting.
General Handbook 29.2.1.1 Item #3
Acknowledgment of presiding authorities or other leaders who are visiting. Presiding authorities and visiting high councilors should be invited to sit on the stand. General Officers are also invited to sit on the stand unless they are attending their home ward.
That's all I can find.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Well there you are! Thanks for the clarification, it's spelled out pretty clearly here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:23 pm Well there you are! Thanks for the clarification, it's spelled out pretty clearly here.
Only as far as visitors go. It still doesn't address who should be on the stand in normal situations.

I found it interesting because on one hand it acknowledges the common practice, but I can't find anywhere else it's addressed. You'd think it would at least say the bishop should be on the stand.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”