Blackberry Playbook

Discussions around the BlackBerry version of the Gospel Library application.
rjwalker52

Android apps on Playbook

Post by rjwalker52 »

My kids got me a Playbook for Christmas, and like most of the poster's here, was surprised to find no gospel apps for the Playbook (because the os is different than BB phones) I did install the beta of os2 for the Playbook, and side loaded gospel library, and LDS tools. Gospel library worked, mostly, but LDS tools did not. I am happy to be able to report that (after many attempts) I have been able to gain root access, install Google Apps, and have access to Market. I have loaded LDS tools and Gospel Library through the market, and both work great. There were plenty of warnings that some android apps may not work when doing this, but these work for me. The new Ensign app does not work for me. So I would conclude that there is reason to hope that when the official os2 comes out, the android apps will be fine on the Playbook.
majorgearhead

Post by majorgearhead »

As part of OS2 there is not only a runtime for Android but also tools that would allow someone with package source code from an Android app to compile a native Blackerry app. Note this is much more than the first solution of converting the APK to a BAR. If someone who worked on the Android app, who uses Eclipse would donate a few hours of time, the tools are out there to easily port this as a native app and then get it into App World.

How would someone get ahold of the LDS Scriptures Android source. I am willing to give it the old college try to get this out for Playbook users.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The development of community projects is handled by the procedures described in the wiki article Getting started on a community project. More information is available in several wiki articles found by going to the LDSTech Project Wiki Menu. One such article is Requirements for participation.https://tech.lds.org/wiki/LDSTech
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drweeks

Post by drweeks »

Anxious for progress with Gospel Library for BB Playbook
Unfortunately, I am not qualified as a developer but would love to assist in beta testing.
djordan

Playbook OS 2.0

Post by djordan »

Are there any plans to make the android applications that are currently available in the new app world for Playbook OS. My understanding is that it can now play on playbook as long as it is rebranded for app world.
djordan

Post by djordan »

The new OS for playbook can run android apps , it does have to be ported over to BlackBerry for use on app world though. I would wonder about this optionas the android app is already up it basically needs to be ported for use on the playbook.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

djordan wrote:The new OS for playbook can run android apps , it does have to be ported over to BlackBerry for use on app world though. I would wonder about this optionas the android app is already up it basically needs to be ported for use on the playbook.
See the thread Could we get all the android apps onto blackberry playbook?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
melindambarlow

Gospel library for playbook

Post by melindambarlow »

With the new operating system for blackberry playbook will we be able to get scripture and lds tools soon?
rbachelder

Post by rbachelder »

To those who are comfortable with sideloading, the Gospel Library is available through this forum (as an android port).
sckellis

Post by sckellis »

Now available from App World for PlayBook:
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore ... 6/?lang=en

Thank you to those who made this possible!

Return to “BlackBerry Gospel Library”