HP Touchpad apps

Discussions around the WebOS (Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HP Touchpad) versions of the Gospel Library application.
robertswanson

HP Touchpad apps

Post by robertswanson »

Are there any plans to convert the current LDS WebOS APP library into a Touchpad compatible mode? I know it will work with a very small screen in the current mode, but it is too small to be useful. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I would think that after this week's announcement by HP that they were no longer actively developing WebOS, that this is not something that should be pursued.
ryan.haver

Post by ryan.haver »

I'm afraid you're wrong about them not actively developing WebOS. They have dropped their hardware side, but will continue to advance the Operating System. They have been in talks with third party manufactures for some time. HP's head of webOS global business had this to say on the matter: "It doesn't mean -- in any way, shape or form, at all -- that we are abandoning webOS." They are just getting out of the hardware side of the business because the profit margins are so low. I'm sure there are many people who would love to see the Advancement of the "LDS Mobile Apps" onto the webOS Tablet form factor.

I wish I had the know how to help development on the webOS side of things. I'm sure that webOS will eventually pickup little by little, but I'm afraid it will never get as far as iOS and Android OS. Hopefully with some luck we can find some awesome developer who has the free time to help out on the webOS side of things.

Thanks in advance to whoever continues development on webOS LDS Apps.
robertswanson

Post by robertswanson »

With the blow out sales yesterday, the Touchpad is everywhere & thirsty for apps. Just look at Ebay today or the latest news of $99 and $149 sales respectively for the Touchpad. The quicker we get something out the better before the rest. There are several popular apps coming soon in WebOS due to this unexpected turn of events.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It really depends on what the volunteer developers want to do. Perhaps they now have tablets to develop on. Or they may decide it's time to move on to another ecosystem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fepatton

Post by fepatton »

Hear, hear! We've been seeing a bunch of new developers coming into the webOS developer forums this weekend. Please see my earlier post about the possibility of doing a quick conversion of the Gospel Library to TouchPad compatibility. As I noted before, I'm unable to help with coding for the time being, but am glad to offer technical advice if I can.

Fred

Fred Patton
Editor-in-Chief, HP webOS Developer Center
danpass

Post by danpass »

robertswanson wrote:Are there any plans to convert the current LDS WebOS APP library into a Touchpad compatible mode? I know it will work with a very small screen in the current mode, but it is too small to be useful. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Yes, indeed! Both Gospel Library and LDS Tools have been adapted to work on phones as well TouchPads, and use the full screen on the TouchPad. They are currently being tested, in preparation for submission to the App Catalog.
92slammer

Post by 92slammer »

i would love to test it for yall
fepatton

Post by fepatton »

Fantastic! Can't wait to see them.

Fred
nishijb

Post by nishijb »

danpass wrote:Yes, indeed! Both Gospel Library and LDS Tools have been adapted to work on phones as well TouchPads, and use the full screen on the TouchPad. They are currently being tested, in preparation for submission to the App Catalog.

I have been enjoying the gospel library on my ipad2 but just got in on the touchpad fire sale and am looking forward to the full screen app. If you need a beta tester let me know.

Return to “WebOS Gospel Library”