Home teaching statistics on how/why?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
ToddBallantyne

Re: Home teaching statistics on how/why?

Post by ToddBallantyne »

The concept of return and report seems to be an effective motivational practice. Here are two examples.

1) The HP group leader in my ward, who's quorum achieves high 90's or 100% HT regularly, implemented the same approach as a young EQ pres decades ago that he uses now. That practice is to interview everyone quarterly about home teaching. He does that by having each district (3 in this case) interviewed on 1 set Sunday a month. All of quorum leadership meets with each companionship from the designated district (the objective but both don't always show up together). This improved constistanly low percentages around 30% to around 90%.

2) Another friend was involved with the concept this way. Each fast Sunday all the home teachers were asked to stay after church for a quick HT report on the families (no more than 5 minutes and easily much less time). This was accomplished with 1 member of the EQ leadership per HT report so 3 or 4 HT reports/interviews were occurring simultaneously. Once again the low percentages turned into high percentages.

So different methods can work to improve home teachers actually getting out. Effective returning and reporting seems to be key. The second example provides the additional benefit of getting stats back early in the month for unit reporting w/o hounding those that need to get the stats into performing.

As always, the Lords concern is with each one of us whom he loves and care about. The stats just help leadership see if we are tending the flock or leaving the gate open for wolves so to speak. Stats are a tool. Service opens the windows of heaven for blessings as each representative of the Lord (HT) enters a home, ministers, fellowships and leaves with a prayer (optimal but just going opens windows for blessing). That blessing is the same as if the Lord Himself were visiting. The family gets blessed. The home teacher gets blessed. He becomes a better priesthood holder and in so doing becomes a blessing in his own family. Lots of blessings if we just get about doing. "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." D&C 82:10
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jegbert wrote:I found that the most successful method was frequent (at least quarterly) short Home Teaching Interviews (sometimes mislabeled as PPIs), to specifically discuss their assigned families.
ToddBallantyne wrote:1) The HP group leader in my ward, who's quorum achieves high 90's or 100% HT regularly, implemented the same approach as a young EQ pres decades ago that he uses now. That practice is to interview everyone quarterly about home teaching. He does that by having each district (3 in this case) interviewed on 1 set Sunday a month. All of quorum leadership meets with each companionship from the designated district (the objective but both don't always show up together). This improved constistanly low percentages around 30% to around 90%.
Sounds like ministering!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
heidiawbrey

Post by heidiawbrey »

I know all of these are several years old, but from a RS point of view, we start with making sure each of the RS presidency is doing real, quality ministering and being a good example. Bringing other members with us as we visit and meet new people also shows them the level we are trying to achieve with ministering. All the talks in the world will not motivate you as much as a real example and hands on teaching. Perhaps you could practice this in a classroom setting and ask about good, better, best home teaching (ministering). Being able to name those you teach is good, praying about them is better, contacting them is even better, becoming real friends with them is best.
elwilcox

Post by elwilcox »

I’m amazed to read this thread, which seems to imply that some people care about ministering to people in their wards. Why not take the approach many of you probably take at work, if you’re in a technology field like I am: user experience. Why not interview ward members to find out what they need, what works, and what doesn’t? Ask single and divorced members in particular. Have older single men? Anyone in the LGBTQ community? Whether and how ward members minister to them is a good measure. The majority of single people I know (both genders) report a dramatic dive in “ministers” even contacting them. But clearly we have a minority group of earnest ministers hoping to leaven the loaf, so good on you!

Return to “General Discussions”