Security of data on MLS computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

DJC wrote:The LANDesk solution is the best option, but not yet feasible as it will not work over dial up connections. The more units that go to high speed the better. This will begin to allow LANDesk to work as it is supposed to from a central management perspective, including software delivery.

If LANDesk Manager is going to be the solution to software updates and it can function from within a profile with limited user rights then I am all for it. The sooner we get away from using administrator user rights for everyday computer operations the more comfortable I will be about managing nine computer systems. Fortunately the clerks and others who use the computers now have been faithful in following Church and stake computer use guidance. With broadband access being deployed to a few, I will have the opportunity to see if that will continue.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

DJC wrote:The more units that go to high speed the better.
Of course, the more units that go to high speed, the less need there is to have MLS be a local program instead of a secure internet portal like nFS. Just think, no more back-ups, no more software downloads, no send/receive changes, just login to the MLS VPN and maintain your unit from there.

Surely with the roll out of Meetinghouse Internet and nFS, MLS via VPN to CHQ is 5 years or less away QED.

(Did I lose anybody in the acronyms?) :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbh001 wrote:Surely with the roll out of Meetinghouse Internet and nFS, MLS via VPN to CHQ is 5 years or less away QED.
Maybe. First, you'd have to work at redeveloping MLS all over again. Second, with MLS you have a functional system as long as you have local power. With a iMLS, you'd be down every time there was a disruption in the Internet.

Long term I can see advantages, but only if you can switch over the local computer to an Internet appliance. While it's possible, right now that seems quite aways from the mainstream of enterprise computing.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

RussellHltn wrote:Maybe. First, you'd have to work at redeveloping MLS all over again. Second, with MLS you have a functional system as long as you have local power. With a iMLS, you'd be down every time there was a disruption in the Internet.
Unless you redevelop MLS in Adobe AIR (or something similar), so that it can function on- or offline. :cool:

Return to “Clerk Computers”