Updatable User Information

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
ShirtsDre

Membership Directory Data / Username Change Requests

Post by ShirtsDre »

thedqs wrote:As the current (US) wards rely more and more on the website, I was wondering why we a members cannot alter our contact info from the website. Changing phone #, email, picture are all membership preferences that can change quite frequently.
Membership Directory data, excepting the preferred name and email address set in "User Profile" is all retrieved from MLS. This can be changed by the ward clerk and should be updated on the site in as little as a week. You do have the ability to update your profile to change your password, email address, and visibility preferences.

Users can request to have their username changed on the Stake and Ward Websites. This usually requires a good reason such as reverting back to your maiden name, inappropriate username selection, inappropriate use of member number as username, etc. This request shouldn't be encouraged on a grand scale. Not all requests are granted. It may take some time for an approved request to be processed. All requests for username change need to be submitted through the global service desk. Username change requests are approved on a case by case basis.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

brannon01 wrote:Some stuffy clerk with no appreciation for exactness is responsible for your church record. It's not even reflective of your current church record; it's a few weeks old.
If your ward clerk has "no appreciation for exactness", he needs to be replaced. Talk to your bishop. My experience is that the vast majority of ward and stake clerks appreciate exactness in record keeping far more than most of the members.

I don't know where you get the idea that the website information is a "few weeks old". My experience has been that the website information is usually updated within 24 hours of when the membership record is updated. I believe that if you are seeing old information it is probably because you have not refreshed the cached data in your web browser.

That said, I agree that it would be very helpful if there was more coordination between the website profile and the membershiop record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rpyne wrote:If your ward clerk has "no appreciation for exactness", he needs to be replaced. Talk to your bishop.
More likely, someone needs to tell the clerk that a member has moved. The clerk is responsible to process the information.

Given that there's a Priesthood organization assigned to visit each family in their home each month and an auxiliary organization mobilized to contact each sister each month, it seems more logical for them to inform the clerk of any changes then to assign a lone clerk to track each family and discover any changes.

(Can you tell I've been a clerk? :D)
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Having been a Membership Clerk for longer than I can remember....

Let me suggest that before you through the clerks under the bus that we understand membershp work is a collective effort. When clerks are set apart telepathy is not bestowed upon them. The individual, Home & Visit Teacher, and Ward Council share the burden to help get this info to the ward clerks.

With that said I see the value of this original request by David. However, jurisdictions vary and in some parts of the world it is illegal to post cell phone numbers. If we gave ward members the ability to update their contact info it could pose a liability to the church.

Good idea.....just ahead of its time.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

enriquer wrote:Having been a Membership Clerk for longer than I can remember....
I knew a bishop that said he was coming up with ideas for a new book:
101 ways to be released as bishop without getting excommunicated

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”