Encouraging Members to Use Unit Websites

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Hey guys, any of you remember the instructions to request setup for a Stake and Ward web sites? Our stake presidency invite me to try to open one for our stake...

I remember that I see more instructions, but don't remember where... Can you any of you help?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

MorettiDP wrote:Hey guys, any of you remember the instructions to request setup for a Stake and Ward web sites? Our stake presidency invite me to try to open one for our stake...

I remember that I see more instructions, but don't remember where... Can you any of you help?
I believe the initial request must come from the stake president by contacting the Clerk's Support Desk in SLC. They will set up the initial site and one member of the stake presidency as an administrator. The stake presidency can then turn the job over to you. Click HERE

The contact number for the Clerk's Support Desk is (801-240-3500 or 1-800-453-3860 ext 23500).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:I believe the initial request must come from the stake president by contacting the Clerk's Support Desk in SLC. They will set up the initial site and one member of the stake presidency as an administrator. The stake presidency can then turn the job over to you. Click HERE

The contact number for the Clerk's Support Desk is (801-240-3500 or 1-800-453-3860 ext 23500).
At least that's how it works in the U.S. I'd expect it to be similar in your country - that the stake president contacts your area office to activate it and turn the control over to you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

That's the question: we will only try, because we know that at this time only US and Canada units can have access. But I can see two brazilian stakes with access when I search the system.

I believe that, officialy, we need to wait the LUWS 2.0...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

MorettiDP wrote:That's the question: we will only try, because we know that at this time only US and Canada units can have access. But I can see two brazilian stakes with access when I search the system.

I believe that, officialy, we need to wait the LUWS 2.0...
That is true. LUWS is only released in the US and Canada. As you note, however, there are test sites in other areas of the world. If your stake president were to ask, you stake may be invited to participate.

I think it would be worth asking.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Yes, I believe in it too...

My original question is exactly how we can request be put into the test...

I go try ask Salt Lake by phone (in Brazil we have a 0800 toll free number that is redirected to ICS Global Service Desk support staff at BYU in Provo).
dmaynes

Ideas on organization and layout of the News/Info Page

Post by dmaynes »

I have really appreciated the ideas on this thread. I am a new ward website administrator and I have been maintaining the site for about six weeks. I think the key to encouraging members to use the website is content. The only place where you have a lot of flexibility in content is the News & Information Page. I have extracted elements from the News and Information Page on our ward website and posted them here. Perhaps it will provide ideas for others who read through these pages.

Here is a quick synopsis:
1- Maintain a regular feature "What's new and updated" so users can see at a glance what is new.
2- Post news and announcements.
3- Maintain regular features that allow ward members to share information: thoughts, recipes, family home evening ideas, etc.
4- Maintain regular features concerning who is sick, new babies, who should be congratulated, etc.
5- Maintain regular features so that ward members can get to know each other.
6- Post and consolidate information that is useful for ward members. Make the information available for download.
Attachments
Ideas_for_the_News_&_Information_Page.pdf
(35.52 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

RussellHltn wrote:Just a quick note to the developers - MLS has a built-in "training" ward complete with an "Ideal ward" and "Ideal Stake". There's a big start on your data, ready-made.

That sounds great! But isn't MLS only available to Clerks? I'm a Ward Website Administrator, not a clerk. Is there anything like that I can play with, that I'm overlooking?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

AileneRHerrick wrote:That sounds great! But isn't MLS only available to Clerks? I'm a Ward Website Administrator, not a clerk. Is there anything like that I can play with, that I'm overlooking?
My comment was addressed to church developers, not administrators. Sometimes the hard part in coming up with example pages is to come up with the fake data.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

RussellHltn wrote:My comment was addressed to church developers, not administrators. Sometimes the hard part in coming up with example pages is to come up with the fake data.

Okay, so not applicable to me... oops! :o

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”