Inability to create new events. Error msg cites a conflict with nonexixtant event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
KirbyLSmith

Inability to create new events. Error msg cites a conflict with nonexixtant event

Post by KirbyLSmith »

I have set the time zones for the locations and reactivated them. I can delete cancelled events but am unable to create a new event.

Every time I try to create a new event, I am allowed to set up the event any way I wish but when I click the Create Event Button I receive the same error message, shown in the attachment. It makes no difference what day or month I try to create it, I always get the same error message and all of my input goes away when I back away from the prospective event.

To make matters more frustrating the calendar resets to the current month and I have to click month by month to the future month I am working in.
Attachments
Test_Event_for_Create_Problem.jpg
Test_Event_for_Create_Problem.jpg (15.78 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

It looks to me like there is a blocked reservation during that time preventing the scheduling of the resource. You should be able to work with a Building Scheduler assigned to that location to work it out.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

KirbyLSmith wrote:I have set the time zones for the locations and reactivated them. I can delete cancelled events but am unable to create a new event.

Every time I try to create a new event, I am allowed to set up the event any way I wish but when I click the Create Event Button I receive the same error message, shown in the attachment. It makes no difference what day or month I try to create it, I always get the same error message and all of my input goes away when I back away from the prospective event.
That message says that the stake has reserved the entire facility. Putting that fact together with the other information you provided, it looks like the stake has reserved the stake center for every day. Is it possible that this is really true?

You didn't mention what your calling is, so I don't know if you can view reservations directly under settings. But in any case, you can go to Week view, then check the box by the stake center location. If indeed the stake has a reservation for the stake center for every day, you should see that reservation appear on every day once you check the box.

If indeed the stake center is reserved every day, you can ask the stake center's building scheduler to remove or adjust that reservation to free up the stake center for scheduling.
KirbyLSmith wrote:To make matters more frustrating the calendar resets to the current month and I have to click month by month to the future month I am working in.
You're not the only one frustrated with this. See the thread Bug: Production calendar returns to the current month when editing an event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cindichr

Post by cindichr »

KirbyLSmith wrote:
To make matters more frustrating the calendar resets to the current month and I have to click month by month to the future month I am working in.

I agree with KirbyLSmith. The resetting to the current month with every save is very time consuming. It takes a lot of time to enter hundreds of events and having to start at today's date with every entry increases data entry time.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cindichr wrote:I agree with KirbyLSmith. The resetting to the current month with every save is very time consuming. It takes a lot of time to enter hundreds of events and having to start at today's date with every entry increases data entry time.
That's fine, but please post comments regarding that topic to the thread Bug: Production calendar returns to the current month when editing an event. That issue is a side issue from the topic of this thread (inability to create new events). Posting to the main thread covering a topic will make your comment much more valuable than posting to an unrelated thread.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
KirbyLSmith

Post by KirbyLSmith »

There is no blocked reservation. We never used the blocking capability. I am the Stake Building Scheduler, the only building scheduler in the entire stake. The Stake Clerk, who put in many of the events, from the Stake Calendar draft did make quite a few of the events to use the entire building, because he did not know any better. I spent a good bit of time removing the checks from that box and telling members never to check it. We never schedule the entire building unless the event is actually going to use almost every room in the building, like the Annual Family History Seminar or the Semi Annual Women's Conference.
KirbyLSmith

Post by KirbyLSmith »

If it were true that the stake reserved the entire building for every day of the year (like my Ward Clerk scheduled the monthly ward potluck for every day of the year) it should show up on the calendar (like the potluck did), but it does not.

I am the Stake Building Scheduler, the only building scheduler in the Stake. We have 10 units in the Stake, 3 units meet in the Stake Center, and the other 7 units have their own buildings, which they do not share. There has never been any need for building schedulers in the other 7 buildings, the Bishop or Branch President normally did any needed scheduling. However, the Stake Center is heavily used not only by the 3 wards who meet there but regularly by 5 other units of the Stake, and others outside the Stake because we are the most centrally located building in Michigan. Multi-Stake Activities are normally held in Lansing because of its location. I have held this position for the last 8 years.

I never assign the entire building to a single event unless they are actually going to use almost all of the rooms. I am usually able to work with the individual organizations so that we can have as many as three, four or more events sharing the building at the same time. The very idea that we could allow individual organizations to schedule rooms and thereby block off others from using them sends shivers up my spine. We set up a system in Version 1 so that the organizations could put in their requests similar to the way we did it in the Classic System.I would then come along and work out any conflicts and make the room assignments. I do not yet know if that system has carried over to Version 2. We will see.

However, the situation is that there are no indications that there is a whole building event that is-keeping me from creating new ones. Is there some way that I can get under the hood ans see what is causing the problem. The Stake insists that they have not done anything with their private schedules that could cause the problem. This delay on the heals of the two day delay while V2 was uploaded is causing me real paid.

Help!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Maybe you know this but unlike V1, in V2 you must go to week view to see events by location. Is that perhaps why you're not seeing the conflicting event?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

KirbyLSmith wrote:If it were true that the stake reserved the entire building for every day of the year (like my Ward Clerk scheduled the monthly ward potluck for every day of the year) it should show up on the calendar (like the potluck did), but it does not.

That's not correct. I was talking about a reservation, not an event. There's a big difference. Reservations are entered under Settings > Reservations, not on the main Calendar view. And unless you have checked the box by the location under "Available Locations" on the main calendar view (which you can only do in Week view), you will never see Reservations on the main calendar view -- you will only see actual events.

Now that I know that you are a stake building scheduler, it's easy to check the reservations. Just go to Settings > Reservations and look at the same time period. So far in all your messages I have seen no indication that you have ever checked the Settings > Reservations page to see if there are reservations. So please check that, and report back what you see. From the error message you posted, it would appear that there is a reservation for the stake unit for the entire location. Or it could be some sort of bug, but no one else is reporting anything like that, so first you should check the reservations so we can either confirm or eliminate a major possibility.
KirbyLSmith wrote:I never assign the entire building to a single event unless they are actually going to use almost all of the rooms. I am usually able to work with the individual organizations so that we can have as many as three, four or more events sharing the building at the same time. The very idea that we could allow individual organizations to schedule rooms and thereby block off others from using them sends shivers up my spine.

Each stake needs to make their own decisions, but I would highly recommend that you reconsider this philosophy. Many stakes are using the new scheduling system with many editors and it works wonderfully. It requires quite a shift in thinking, and their are a few rough spots in the transition, but it ends up being quite efficient and saves the building scheduler a ton of work.
KirbyLSmith

Post by KirbyLSmith »

Thank You, Thank You!

I do not know how it happened or who did it, but there was a reservation called "-1" reserving the entire building for every day of the year. See attachment called Edit Reservation Problem. I have now deleted it and imagine that I will not see this particular problem again.

Please tell me how this could happen and who could have done it.

Again, thank you. Now I can get back to work.
Attachments
Edit_Reservation_Problem.jpg
(16.03 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Return to “Calendar”