Ward Missionary Donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Missionary Donations

Post by russellhltn »

How does that conflict with "There is no 'one size fits all' answer here." and "But if the form is filled out right, it will be set up to come from the ward best suited for collecting the donations."?

The bottom line is that it can be assigned to ANY ward that will accept the responsibility. Either before the mission or during the mission.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:How does that conflict
I don't think it conflicts at all. I think he was just commenting on your statement
And that's usually where the parents are
and merely pointing out that there are cases where it is not where the parents are.
jetjockey

Post by jetjockey »

The $400 a month goes for your Missionaries room and board and these are not tax deductible and shouldn't be. That's why unless you want to help support a specific Mssionary you should you should donate to the ward missionary fund which is tax deductible.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

jetjockey wrote:The $400 a month goes for your Missionaries room and board and these are not tax deductible and shouldn't be. That's why unless you want to help support a specific Mssionary you should you should donate to the ward missionary fund which is tax deductible.
Without getting into the nuances of US tax law, the donation is absolutely not a transfer to the missionary, whether it is placed in the Ward Missionary Fund or a sub-account of the Ward Missionary Fund. The sub-accounts in the Ward missionary fund are only there for ease of accounting. It is very specifically a donation to the church, not for any particular missionary, and as such, is considered a charitable contribution. What that means in any particular situation is a discussion best held between the donor and his/her tax advisers. The church supports the missionaries.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

In fact, as I remember, on the donation slip it's self says: "All donations to the Church's missionary fund become the property of the Church to be used at the Church's sole discretion in its missionary program."
sicraw

Post by sicraw »

I have a question regarding my missionary. She went into the MTC on August 29th (in the MTC 3 days for that month). I paid the full amount of $400 the beginning of August. She will be released March 17, Do I have to pay for March as well or will the extra in August cover the extra in March?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

sicraw wrote:I have a question regarding my missionary. She went into the MTC on August 29th (in the MTC 3 days for that month). I paid the full amount of $400 the beginning of August. She will be released March 17, Do I have to pay for March as well or will the extra in August cover the extra in March?
You would do best to have your ward/branch clerk check this for you as he can see the information. As I understand it, if she serves less than 18 1/2 months, there will by 18 payments withdrawn from your unit's mission fund. If she serves more than 18 1/2 months, there will be an extra payment withdrawn.

For our ward, I advise parents to wait until the money is pulled from the ward and if the missionary department pulls an extra payment, I notify them so they can cover it. We have a cushion in our ward mission fund so getting the payment a few weeks after the money is pulled by the church is not a problem.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sicraw wrote:I have a question regarding my missionary. She went into the MTC on August 29th (in the MTC 3 days for that month). I paid the full amount of $400 the beginning of August. She will be released March 17, Do I have to pay for March as well or will the extra in August cover the extra in March?
As long as a Sister missionary comes home within 2 weeks of the 18 month mark from when she started her mission then the ward will only be charged 18 times. But if she comes home more than 14 days over that 18 month mark, then the ward will be charged for another month. Since March 17 is about 19 days over that mark, the ward will be charged 19 times. The first charge would have been at the beginning of August so the last charge should be at the beginning of Feb.

So your last payment should be in February if I've done my math correctly.

But as davesudweeks says, it's best to stay in contact with your ward clerk especially toward the end so you don't make a payment beyond what the ward is charged.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”