Enabling Audio Conferencing
The purpose of this article is to show how to set up a telephone audioconference for various meetings. Please note that there are many options for holding videoconferences and audioconferences using internet services. This section will give an example of how a technology specialist in North America can set up an audioconference using telephone systems.
For similar solutions that can be used anywhere in the world (often at a lower price), please see our Virtual Meetings Overview.
The Church has a contract with Verizon Business for a basic audioconference service. This “instant conference” service allows units (generally stakes and districts but could include other units as well) to initiate an audioconference with up to 20 participants by simply dialing a toll-free number and entering a password. No reservation is required. This service can be used for many Church-related purposes; primarily, it can serve as an audio backup during webcast events.
Under the current agreement, the cost of the service is 2.5 cents per minute per user on the conference, with toll-free access from anywhere in the US. For example, a 60-minute conference with ten participants would be:
10 participants X 60 minutes X $0.025 = $15.00
There are no monthly recurring costs or other costs associated with the service. It is possible that these costs could vary over time with changing conditions and new agreements.
STEP 1: SET UP SERVICE
- Send an email to [firstname.lastname@example.org] with the request to establish an Instant Meeting subaccount under the master account for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Verizon will know the master account. You can also call Verizon Audio Conference Customer Service at 1-800-475-5000 if you have questions.
- Include the following information in the email:
- Authorization Code (4457359)
- Leader’s first and last name, phone number, and email address
- Contact’s first and last name, phone number, and email address
- Leader’s cost reference code (CRC): Unit number and unit name of the stake or district
- Leader’s stake office address
- Follow instructions from the Verizon service center.
- Bills for the service will be sent to Church headquarters and then passed on to the local unit.
- The Church unit using the service is responsible for paying for the service.
STEP 2: HOLD AN AUDIOCONFERENCE
- Distribute the call-in number and passcode provided by the vendor to those participating in the conference.
- Dial the toll-free number provided by the vendor.
- Host the meeting and wait for participants to enter their passcode.
- Close the call according to the directions provided by the conference service.