Here are some examples of how you can refine your search terms to find what you are looking for on LDS.org Search.
- 1 Advanced search queries
- 2 Recommended Results
- 3 Filters
- 4 Related Topics
- 5 Searching for Scriptures
- 6 Study by Topic
Advanced search queries
When you search for something on LDS.org, you can use advanced search parameters to return results of what you're looking for.
Find materials by format
Search term examples:
- "conference faith" – finds conference talks on faith.
- "scriptures faith" – finds scriptures on faith.
- "magazines faith" – finds magazine articles on faith.
- "manuals faith" – finds manual chapters on faith.
- "video faith" – finds videos on faith.
Find articles from Church Publications
Search term examples:
- "Ensign faith" – This search term finds Ensign articles on faith.
- "Friend faith" – This search term finds Friend articles on faith.
- "Liahona faith" – This search term finds Liahona articles on faith.
- "New Era faith" – This search term finds New Era articles on faith.
Finding Material for a Specific Audience
Search Term Examples:
- "audience:aaronic faith" – This search term finds material for the Aaronic Priesthood on faith.
- "audience:melchizedek faith" – This search term finds material for the Melchizedek Priesthood on faith.
- "audience:primary faith" – This search term finds material for the Primary on faith.
- "audience:relief-society faith" – This search term finds material for the Relief Society on faith.
- "audience:young-women faith" – This search term finds material for the Young Women on faith.
Using Boolean Operators, NEAR Operators, and phrase searches.
- Surround your search term with quotation marks to find an exact phrase. For example: "Laying On of Hands" or "Word of Wisdom."
- Type "OR" to find search results containing either one of your search terms. For example, you may type: baptism OR holy ghost.
- Type "AND" to find both words in each search result. For example you may type: baptism AND holy ghost.
- Type a minus (-) sign in front of words you do not want in your search results. For example, you may type: baptism –"holy ghost".
- Type NEAR to find words near each other in each search result. Add a slash (/) and a number to specify the maximum distance between the two words. For example, you can type: faith NEAR baptism. You can also type: faith NEAR/6 baptism.
Advanced Search helps you restrict your search to the materials you most need. You may access advanced search from any LDS.org page by clicking on the magnifying glass icon on the search bar. Then click "Advanced Search" underneath the search bar.
Recommended results appear on the right side of the search page. They are handpicked results populated from your search terms.
While on the search page, you may narrow your results using the filters on the left side of the page. Click on the filter to use it. As you use one filter, another layer of filters will appear.
A list of topics related to your search term appears at the bottom of the search page. Click a related term to view search results for that term.
Searching for Scriptures
Searching for specific scripture reference will take you directly to the verse in the scriptures on LDS.org. You must type the reference in the typical format of book chaper:verse. For example: 1 Nephi 3:7 or Luke 2:10-12.
Study by Topic
You may also locate information in the alphabetical Study by Topic feature of LDS.org. Access Study by Topic in Menu > Study by Topic. Select a topic from the list to see a collection of scriptures, talks, and other materials discussing that topic.