Content found in this wiki may not always reflect official Church information. See Terms of Use for more information.

Ordinance and ordination certificates

From TechWiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

All content on this page is moving to Help Center under the Meetinghouse Technology topic. This page was supposed to be deleted at the end of October 2012.


A certificate should be created within MLS by the ward clerk or one of his assistants for the following ordinances or ordinations:

  • Child blessing
  • Baptism and confirmation
  • Aaronic Priesthood ordination
  • Melchizedek Priesthood ordination

Carbon copy certificates should not be used where MLS is available to ward clerks. In some stakes, the stake clerk or one of his assistants creates the certificate for Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations, although the Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Record (printable from MLS) says that the ward or branch clerk should do this. The Record Keeping FAQ says that "the stake clerk normally handles the printing of the certificate, but he can assign this task to the ward clerk." [1]


These certificates provide a method of communicating to ward members that an ordinance has been properly recorded on the membership records. It also provides evidence in the event that the membership records are incorrectly changed.

Note: Because certificates are sometimes used as evidence to make corrections to membership records, the full, legal name of the member should be used on the certificate. Do not use preferred names, nicknames, or so on.

Other certificates

Ward clerks may also assist in preparing other certificates, such as Primary advancement certificates.

Duplicate and replacement certificates

If the certificate is being printed as a replacement or a duplicate for the member, Replacement-Duplicate must be handwritten or stamped on the certificate signifying that it is not an original.

Distribution of certificates

The ward clerk normally gives or mails the certificate to the person receiving the ordinance, or in the case of a minor to the adult who has legal guardianship. In the case of the Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Certificate, the stake clerk may distribute it.