Endowed Without Recommend

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
JamesRowley

Endowed Without Recommend

Post by JamesRowley »

My Stake President is requesting that I get numbers from the month of December of members endowed without recommends. Can I get this number from MLS?
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

It's a standard report in the "ward version" of MLS. I don't know about the stake. You might have to request this from each ward clerk. Better yet, have the Stake President talk to the Bishops, who could have a better idea about why certain individuals would or would not have a recommend.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's best that the Stake President gets this information from the Bishops rather than "going behind their backs." But if the system allows the Stake to access this information directly then so be it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jamesrowley wrote:My Stake President is requesting that I get numbers from the month of December of members endowed without recommends. Can I get this number from MLS?
This information is available in several places:
  • In Stake MLS, it is available in the Quarterly Report (information for each of the last several reporting months). If you want December, then that will be the figures for the Q4 2011 report.
  • Also in stake MLS, it is available in the Membership area in the Temple Recommends panel: the report is called "Endowed Without Recommend" (that will be the status as of today).
  • In the Leader Resources on lds.org (lds.org/leader), it is available in the Quarterly Report for the various reporting months.
  • Also in Leader Resources, it is available under Unit Statistics (information as of today's date)
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesRowley

Post by JamesRowley »

Thank you. I'm trying to "capture" a certain day of the month in December and wondered if that was possible. I'm trying to compare the # of MWOR from this month to last month and report the upswing or downswing of members renewing their Temple Recommends. We've seen a sharp increase of members not renewing their temple recommends due to a temple closure for maintenance. Our Stake President has emphasized in PPI's and Bishopric Training to keep this number from going up while our local temple is closed.

Our Area Seventy has asked that he delegate that responsibility to me. Because of the Christmas holiday last month, I failed to give him an accurate count. I was hoping I could "capture" last months #'s and compare it to the number I "captured" yesterday while completing temple recommend activation's.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jamesrowley wrote:Thank you. I'm trying to "capture" a certain day of the month in December and wondered if that was possible. I'm trying to compare the # of MWOR from this month to last month and report the upswing or downswing of members renewing their Temple Recommends. We've seen a sharp increase of members not renewing their temple recommends due to a temple closure for maintenance. Our Stake President has emphasized in PPI's and Bishopric Training to keep this number from going up while our local temple is closed.

Our Area Seventy has asked that he delegate that responsibility to me. Because of the Christmas holiday last month, I failed to give him an accurate count. I was hoping I could "capture" last months #'s and compare it to the number I "captured" yesterday while completing temple recommend activation's.
If you need a particular date, then the only option I know of is to carefully make a backup of your current MLS database, then restore a backup from the around the date you are interested in (if you don't have a backup close to that date, then you're out of luck), run the report, then restore the backup of your current data. If you do this, make sure you don't do a Send/Receive at any time when the old data is in place.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

This is a very interesting question indeed. With a 2 year renewal cycle, this seems a very difficult question to answer at a point-in time. There are a number of significant reasons for this number to be down sharply, the economy being one that I'd think might be just as related to the issue as a temple closed for maintenance. I would take a look at the online leader tools, under the Key Indicators and look at the Current Temple Recommend holder number over the largest time-frame possible. This data is from the quarterly reports, but can show trends over the last 16 quarters... you can see whether your current numbers trend any differently over the last 4 years or not. I would compare it to MP Attendance and Sac Meet Attendance... What about Full Tithe Payers - you could also take a look at the numbers from 2010 and compare them to 2011 you are receiving this month and see if potential full-tithe payers is down vs other reasons.

I dislike proof-texting in the scriptures as well... but if you want to look at the data and have it indicate something, you generally can.... make sure it is valid, even if it goes against your leader's gut.. truth is better than error anyday.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jamesrowley wrote:I'm trying to "capture" a certain day of the month in December

You could ask the bishops to look in their recommend books, but this will not account for whether or not a member of the stake presidency has completed the second interview and whether or not the recommend has actually been activated.

If your capture date is December 31st, use the quarterly report.

You could also look at specific recommends that expired in November 2011, for example, and see if they got renewed in December or January.

This is a particularly intriguing assignment, since recommends do not expire because of maintenance closures, but rather, they expire due to the end of the month passing by.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”