Book of Mormon AudioBook MP3's in different Languages

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Yes, I apologize. I think I didn't grasp the concept correctly and went off on a different tangent. My mistake. Thank you for the correction.
tomj
Community Moderators

Accuracy

Post by tomj »

It's true, in many languages, a simple misconjugation in the spoken word could change it from present tense to past tense/ past to futures . . . . . . . etc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:I think that mis-speaking is the issue. It is so easy for someone to leave out a word, add a word, pronounce a word wrong, etc.
And yet that sounds like something that could be addressed. If you get someone to record it, and then having it reviewed by the committee before release that would still be less work then doing it all themselves. One issue is getting a good speaker and a good recording. A recording done in a controlled setting to allow re-takes at a later date.

To make it manageable, one might want to have one speaker do one book. Or better yet use one speaker for each prophet.
reachtheworld-p40

Post by reachtheworld-p40 »

Once again, I really think this is something independent people, or an independent organized group, could set off and do on their own. Not everything has to go through official Church channels. It is a slothful servant that thinks the only way to do things has to be through official programs.

For example, W. Cleon Skousen and Wendell Noble produced "Treasures from the Book of Mormon" a series of cassette tapes that read the text of the Book of Morrmon and also provide commentary. http://www.skousen2000.com/religious%20 ... eaudio.htm

So if you're fluent in Swahili, or know someone who is, I say go for it.
mkmurray

Church Legal Department response!!!

Post by mkmurray »

reachtheworld wrote:Not everything has to go through official Church channels. It is a slothful servant that thinks the only way to do things has to be through official programs.
Tom has already given us an official Church response:
tomw wrote:I discussed this with the legal department that handles such requests. Here was their reply:
In accordance with instructions from the Scriptures Committee, to preserve the integrity and accuracy of the scriptures, our office has denied these types of requests. Requests by non-profit entities serving the handicapped have been approved pursuant to an agreement that will appropriately preserve accuracy.
Tom
The Church owns all the rights to the scriptures and we should honor their request! The Church may not sue you, but they are obviously concerned about keeping the sanctity and accuracy of the scriptures in tact!
leejj

The Process

Post by leejj »

I know the Area Office here has been trying to get a few different Book of Mormon audio files for languages in the region. According to the scripture committee, the process goes like this.

First released in:

Book (Print)
HTML on LDS.org
Audio (MP3, etc)

I'm sure as the scriptures are released online over the next year or so you will begin to see more and more audio scriptures right along with it. Imagine how that will help our missionaries worldwide when they can listen to scriptures in their target language.

Josh
philstaggs

Re: Book of Mormon AudioBook MP3's in different Languages

Post by philstaggs »

Is it possible to purchase the Book of Mormon in some form of records, CD, or tapes in the language of Italian?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”