Household photo not being shown on ward directory print out

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Household photo not being shown on ward directory print

Post by jdlessley »

linettesmith wrote:on the directory page you could put a disclaimer that the photos won't print until further notice.
That would require a revision update. And since they have already fixed the issue in the next release, the disclaimer is not necessary.
linettesmith wrote:And no one has any idea when directory 3.0 will be deployed.
Not anyone on these forums who is not a church employee. They seldom announce dates for releases. Past experience has shown that when they have announced release dates and the date slips there is just as much, if not more, grumbling and complaining.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The forum is primary user-to-user assistance. While a few developers do visit here to get input, no one here has control over the priorities. That's controled by the church leadership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kathrynajohnson

Re: Online directory photos not showing up

Post by kathrynajohnson »

Does anyone know how long it will be before photos are available to print? Also, there are photos in my ward's directory that do not print at all, plus there are a couple that come up in the wrong place. I have no problem uploading the photos and the photos reflect online in the directory, but I can no longer bring photos into the pdf in order to print them. We were hoping to have all photos completed in order to print by the end of February. ... Kathie Johnson, Canyon View 7th Ward.

kathie@kathrynjohnson.net
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator Note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: The previous post was moved to this thread from the Online directory photos not showing up because the topic of this thread and the moved post are the same.]
kathrynajohnson wrote:Does anyone know how long it will be before photos are available to print?
See the earlier posts of this thread. In short, the problem has been fixed and will be included in the next Directory release. When that release will happen is unknown.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Online directory photos not showing up

Post by russellhltn »

kathrynajohnson wrote:Does anyone know how long it will be before ...
With very few exceptions, the answer to this type of question is "No. Nobody knows."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

That was quite entertaining. I read the entire thread after trying to generate a photo directory for our ward photographer. I found a few common themes:

1. There are a lot of people that don't read the entire thread before posting. I'll have to go with the benefit of the doubt on this and assume these are people that are not used to using technical forums. Hopefully they read some of the follow-ups to their postings so that now they know.

2. YSA wards change a lot, and understandably so. It sounds like weekly photo directories are generated. Hopefully those aren't printed since they're out of date by the following week. Perhaps the PDF file is emailed to the entire ward. Hopefully the directories are not posted online somewhere (eg, facebook, google docs, etc) as I'm not sure that goes with church policy. If an individual can login to FB, Google, etc to view a directory, then they should be capable of logging in to lds.org and viewing the directory directly.

3. Photo directories are apparently very desirable as people seem to be quite passionate about them. Each family photo can indeed be worth a thousand words, or in the case of our one YSA ward, 160,000 words. That's twice the words in 'Chamber of Secrets' and about the same as 'Half-Blood Prince'. Or for you alternate readers, 'Twilight' is in between with 130K words :-)

4. I wanted to commend our community moderators/admins, jdlessley, russellhltn, and aebrown, for keeping things civil, and especially thank LisaAn (church employee) for posting about the fix.

Have said all that, I still have one question. Other than seeing photos appear again in generated directories, or seeing LisaAn's posting that 3.0 has been released, how do we know which version of the directory we're using? With desktop apps, you can usually go to Help > About and see a version number. I don't see a way to get a version number with the directory. Do I have to go to the wiki to see it?

https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/dir ... _notes.htm
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

sasgrw wrote:Have said all that, I still have one question. Other than seeing photos appear again in generated directories, or seeing LisaAn's posting that 3.0 has been released, how do we know which version of the directory we're using? With desktop apps, you can usually go to Help > About and see a version number. I don't see a way to get a version number with the directory. Do I have to go to the wiki to see it?

https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/dir ... _notes.htm
If you look at the page source you can see the version in the head tag.

Currently it looks like <head version="2.0.7-rev.3065">
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

JonesRK wrote:If you look at the page source you can see the version in the head tag.

Currently it looks like <head version="2.0.7-rev.3065">
I don't see that in my source code. I used 'view source' in FF, IE, and Chrome. From FF, the file name is "www.lds.org_directory.html" (I use an external text editor to view source). From IE and Chrome, it's "https://www.lds.org/directory". My <head> tag is plain and simple.
head tag via view source (plain).JPG
head tag via view source (plain).JPG (78.21 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
However, if I use firebug, I can see it.
Attachments
head tag via firebug (version).JPG
head tag via firebug (version).JPG (74.86 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I was using firebug. I didn't even think to look at the original source. It must be being added to the head tag somewhere in the javascript.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

I just wanted to add a small note here to say that the 3.0 release is almost here. We plan to enter a beta testing period shortly. I believe much of the hold-up has been due to a new imaging service that has had issues.

However, as a positive note on this thread, the issue with printing a photo directory in the existing release will be fixed prior to the 3.0 release. Hopefully that PDF print fix will go out this week.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”