Gospel Library for Windows 8

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
ToManyLetters

Re: Gospel Library for Windows 8

Post by ToManyLetters »

Looks good so far. I can help out with some of the graphic design in regard to images for the different sections, if desired. I also can help test the app for bugs and provide general usability feedback. Running Windows 8 on an Asus Vivo Tab Smart.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

Thanks for all of the comments!

I am going to be setting up a TFS with the code until we can move it to the LDSTech repo.
If you want access, PM me a Windows Live ID that I can use to give you access to the code. Also let me know if you already have a Windows Store Developer account or not (If you have an MSDN subscription, you have access to the Store)

If I don't hear from any of the LDSTech mods by this weekend, I'll send some emails out to some people to find out if I can push what I have to the store in the mean time.
Tubasparky

Post by Tubasparky »

I was under the impression that apps for Windows Phone 8 could be easily ported to a Windows 8 app. I don't claim to be an expert, I just read that on some tech blogs. Since there already are LDS Gospel Library and LDS Tools apps for Windows Phone 8 What would it involve to port the existing apps to be Windows 8 apps?
simzz

Post by simzz »

Joe,

I just sent a PM with the Live IDs. Let me know if you don't get it. It says it is in my outbox, not sent..

john
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

Awesome, I got the messages.

I will either add you guys tonight or tomorrow. I don't know when I will be getting home from work today, so I'm not sure if I can get the code uploaded tonight.

As for porting the WP7/8 app to Win8, the UX's are completely different. The only piece that would be able to be shared across the apps would be the backend pieces. I would like to see how they use the LDS Login to sync notes and highlights. If you know anyone on that time, I'd love to get access to that code base
msheets

Post by msheets »

Fun stuff! I'd be interested in testing if you need--I've been running Windows 8 for about 5 months now on a non-touch laptop and am loving it. I truly love the chance to give feedback on projects similar to this--let me know how I can help. Thanks!

-Matt

P.S. As far as graphics go, I'd look to the current Windows Phone app--one of the big pushes of the Windows environment is "Content Over Chrome"--and something that goes with that is pushing beautiful graphics wherever possible. I like the feel that LDS Reading was going for before they pulled their app/it was pulled down from the Windows Store. I still have it running and would be fine with sending screenshots over if you'd like. I'm pretty sure I might actually have some contact info for those developers. Thanks again!
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

@msheets

I haven't seen that app. If you have contact info/screenshots, I would love to have them!
As for the app being pulled from the store, do you know why that happened?
msheets

Post by msheets »

I don't. I'll have to see if I can get their contact info to you. How do we pass contact info on here?
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

The best would be to PM me and I can give you my contact info
Eric84

Post by Eric84 »

Hi Joe,

I was just curious about how things are going and if you heard anything back from the LDSTech people about this project. I hope it's going well. I know a lot of us non-programmers appreciate the work that volunteers contribute.

Thanks,
Eric

Return to “Gospel Library”