Using Social Media In Your Calling

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

See, this is the problem where the church can't (obviously) keep up with modern technologies.
People do things, incorrectly, and then justify it away (also incorrectly). The net result is that other people see them, and then use that as the precedent for their own ideas.

It's very clear in Book 2: "Stakes and wards are not authorized to create other Web sites or blogs or otherwise have a Church-sponsored presence on the Internet."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:Not if it's clearly stated that isn't an Official Church site!

Individuals can have a website, but you can't simply slap an "unofficial" title on a website and do what you want. There are other rules that still must be complied with, such as not posting photos or other information about individuals without their consent.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gleedaniel13

Re: Using Social Media In Your Calling

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

What is your opinion/take on using these sites? Would it be useful for the church to provide its own version of FB for member use?
Yes, I think it is useful for the church to use its own version for FB so that the members will be informed about the events going to happen. It may be a social event or spiritual event as long as the members will informed that is very okay. Just always note the limitations for the posts that will be made.
spencerwbingham

Post by spencerwbingham »

For unpleasant experiences like divorce I know of people that announced there date on a social media site. Thing is for something like that I would think you should respect the privacy of people involved. Makes job as clerk easier. But that is probably not wise to post on facebook.

Announcing callings, talks young men and women doing something Is appropriate use of social media I think.
Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 »

I think the church group or organization are allowed in using this site of facebook to inform their members about any events. I think this is not bad.

Return to “General Discussions”