Missionary Apartments

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
spitfire-p40

Multiple Concerns

Post by spitfire-p40 »

This is a great idea which can bring many blessings to those willing to "sacrafice" by providing housing for the full time missionaries. However, having reviewed the list of requirements by the Church, it is almost impossible to meet the criteria. My husband & I are emptynesters & would welcome the missionaries into our home. That being said, we don't meet the "housing requirements" i.e. separate entrances, etc. Very few homes in the country have a separate entrance to their home with the exceptions of home built with a downstairs basement apt or a "inlaw" wing. I just don't think those types of homes are that available. Perhaps the rules have changed but the last time I saw them, several of us (all retired professonials & empty nesters) could not meet the requirements.
dobrichelovek

The best you can do.

Post by dobrichelovek »

I have a few thoughts on this. I am in one of the stakes that hosted this pilot program of housing missionaries in member's homes, and I have made some observations about what has happened. First of all, the housing guidelines are the ideal, but often that ideal was not achieved. What ended up happening in many cases was that the bishop recommended a family that was willing to have the missionaries even though the recommendations weren't able to be fulfilled exactly. The stake presidency approved the exceptions for the time being and it generally worked out well.

One difficulty with posting those standards is that you can't publish less than what you would really like, but if what you really want cannot be found, sometimes you have to accept something really close as long as it is approved. Ultimately it is up to the bishop to make the recommendation within the ward and the stake/mission to approve it. Don't immediately disqualify yourself if one or two items are missing.

On a farther looking note, if I am blessed with an opportunity to purchase a home eventually that has a mother-in-law apartment, I will consider that with the possibility of it eventually serving to help the missionaries. It would serve very well for the actual mother-in-law that is currently living with us also. What I am trying to say is, if people have the means, and know that it would be a service to helping the missionaries, it might be a factor in considering what home to buy, or how to build a house. Those that don't have the means, or are in a house that don't quite fit the requirements shouldn't feel either pressured or left out because they didn't have that consideration previously. The list is the ideal, and unlike standards of worthiness, certain elements of this list can be prayerfully overlooked. However, like a calling, we may express our willingness, but we cannot make that call ourselves.

The program has been a blessing in our ward, and although with three young girls in our small home I don't expect we will be able to participate any time soon, I hope to eventually have a home that will facilitate having the missionaries eventually when we do fit the profile.

And linking it to tech? Would I be stretching it by asking how to look for a home online with a mother-in-law/missionary apartment?
BrainClay

Post by BrainClay »

spitfire wrote:This is a great idea ... However, having reviewed the list of requirements by the Church, it is almost impossible to meet the criteria. My husband & I are emptynesters & would welcome the missionaries into our home. That being said, we don't meet the "housing requirements" i.e. separate entrances, etc. .

The requirements have changed. :) The missionaries do not require separate entrances, separate kitchen, or even a separate bathroom (though both parties will want this, if possible.) You have to work out when they can have access to the kitchen and bathroom, but these are minor details.

They need their own bedroom, and a place to study. The place to study can be anywhere in the house where the host can agree to give them some privacy. They need one shelf in the pantry, and one shelf in a fridge. Other than that, there aren't a lot of other requirements.

In addition to being heavily involved in getting this program running in our mission, we hosted sister missionaries for a couple months. We had a 15 year-old daughter at home, and they shared a bathroom, but that wasn't a problem.

The missionaries aren't normally allowed to be home alone with the opposite sex, of course, but an exemption is made for the hostess (or host for Sister Missionaries). This is why it is so important that the Bishop and Stake President are involved in the approval process. We haven't had any problems in the two and half years we've been doing it. Widows make excellent hostesses.
RDKatz

Re: Missionary Apartments

Post by RDKatz »

We have been asked by our Bishop if we would be willing to host some Missionaries. We said yes. Last Sunday, the Bishop asked when we could host some Sisters. Now I am a bit worried. We have an underused basement with a bedroom, bath and a large room that could be used for study or whatever else. The bedroom has a twin bed with a trundle and a small closet. The large room has tables, chairs, etc. There is also a small refrigerator and a large freezer there. There is a laundry room which we would share.

My problem comes with knowing what furniture we need to supply. The beds are set but not much else. Are we to supply a bureau? How about dishware, silverware, pots pans, etc.

What is expected of us?
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by wertdl »

I would suggest you contact your local mission office to receive the latest policies and guidelines.
Cornell69

Post by Cornell69 »

Looking in surprise ax

Return to “General Discussions”