Gospel Library 3.0

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
zaneclark

Gospel Library 3.0

Post by zaneclark »

The new version of Gospel Library for iOS, 3.0, (iPads and iPhones) has just been released and is available in the App Store.... This is evidently a new version and not an update, as the previous version 2.5 is still available. I look forward to some discussions on changes, improvements, etc.
mprusse

Re: Gospel Library 3.0

Post by mprusse »

Where do we find extensive help on how to use this? I can figure out most things but I suspect there are some features I'm unaware of.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I am speaking as a user of the Android version. But since the iOS version is ahead in features from Android I suspect the help for both is pretty much the same.

There is a Help menu item in the app. There are four help sections: Online Help, Report a Problem, About Gospel Library, and What's New. Start in the What's New section to see what has been changed or improved. The Online Help provides a comprehensive table of contents, glossary, and video tutorials.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I don't see any help section in the iOS GL 3.0. I see the User Guide but it just talks about what's new and doesn't give any specifics.

What I really want to know right now is if there is a way to tag & note an entire chapter rather than just verses.

Thanks.
r36_9346

Post by r36_9346 »

mprusse wrote:What I really want to know right now is if there is a way to tag & note an entire chapter rather than just verses.
None that I could see.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on Gospel Library 3.0
PROS:
• I like the new interface.
• The page numbers are unobtrusive (displayed in the margin instead of within the body text).
• The ability to hide page numbers, footnotes, and headings are cool.

Things I miss from 2.5:
• The ability to change the body text font from Palatino to another serif or sans-serif font.
• Quick Scrolling and Go To. These are crucial when the pace of a gospel class (i.e. Institute or Sunday school) quickens and spans multiple volumes and/or distant verses of a chapter (e.g. where the teacher would say, "keep your finger in X and go to Y"). In these situations. Opening a new window then navigating to a reference is too time consuming, especially with the slower animations. You'll usually arrive at the verse around the time the one reading it is finished.

Go To could be summoned by tapping on the text in the center of the navigation bar.

Feature request:
Auto scrolling. For those who simply want to read, let the app take care of the scrolling.

In summary, GL3 is more for casual study and reading, but it is not tuned for when a class takes the pace of a scripture chase.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

Is there a way in GL 3 to select an entire verse as there was in 2.x by pushing down on the verse?
r36_9346

Post by r36_9346 »

No. Text selection appears to work in GL3 as it does through the rest of iOS. That is, tap and hold on a word to select the word, then drag the selection handles to your desired selection. However, I have noticed that it does not allow the device's built-in text to speech system to speak the selection, as it does in other built-in iOS apps.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Do I assume that all marked verses from 2.5 will not be retained in v3?
jonathan.ware

Post by jonathan.ware »

dannykos wrote:Do I assume that all marked verses from 2.5 will not be retained in v3?
I would assume the opposite, actually. Didn't 2.5 sync marked verses to lds.org? I was going to check and see for you but lds.org is having some bug where it switches to spanish and it wouldn't let me switch out when in the notes area.
gtfullmer

Post by gtfullmer »

Is there a way in GL 3 to select an entire verse as there was in 2.x by pushing down on the verse?
Actually, there is! Press and hold your finger down at the END of the verse, and it will select the entire verse. Grabbing the blue circular handles will enable you to then select other verses as well. Pretty awesome. Takes some getting used to, but I'm glad its still possible to do inside of GL3.

I do agree with the above poster: the app could use quick scroll again. Thats the only feature I have been missing. Also, the ability to link to scriptures inside of documents or notes would be amazing. I hope to see those in the future.

Job well done!

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”