Transfer money from Budget to "other"

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dannykos

Re: Transfer money from Budget to "other"

Post by dannykos »

Well I've always been told that we shouldn't write cheques between units, but that was 'pre-CUBS' - so perhaps the procedure has changed?

The wards would be writing a cheque from the Other account where the funds that have been raised would be deposited. Then we'd be paying into the Stake budget account - from where we had incurred the expenses.

GSC seemed to be intimating that raised funds should be both collected into, and dispursed out of the Other account. (Ward & Stake).

Hmm…
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Gary_Miller wrote:
dannykos wrote:I've just been told by GSC that the only way for Stake to recoup funds from the wards spent on Deacons / Beehives camp is to transfer from Ward-Other to Stake-Other. Then I'm supposed to recategorise all related stake expenses for the camp from Budget to Other?! Does that sound right to everyone else?
Does not sound right to me. Since a Deacons/Beehive camp would be considered a Youth Conference all expenses would come from the Budget allowance not the other account. If the wards are paying part of the costs then the correct way would be for the wards to write a check , from the budget allowance, to the stake and the stake deposit the check into the Stake Budget.
We in the UK have just been transferred on to the CUBS system, in the last month, so are still getting to grips with this new system. We haven't been advised, so far, if in fact we would write cheques to transfer funds between Ward/Stake, Stake/Ward.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Same here - I'm the other side of the M25 from you :)

The whole Budget setting / reporting bit looks totally incomprehensible to me!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dannykos wrote:Well I've always been told that we shouldn't write cheques between units, but that was 'pre-CUBS' - so perhaps the procedure has changed?

The wards would be writing a cheque from the Other account where the funds that have been raised would be deposited. Then we'd be paying into the Stake budget account - from where we had incurred the expenses.

GSC seemed to be intimating that raised funds should be both collected into, and dispursed out of the Other account. (Ward & Stake).

Hmm…
Here in the US writing checks between units has always been how we did this kind of thing. But things very well my be different there in the UK so I can't help you there.

However, by policy raised funds should be deposited into the Other account. Since we transitioned to CUBS if we have expenses that were paid out of Budget but which should be covered by Other funds, we make category adjustments to at least some of the expenses. Sometimes this means splitting an expense between Other and Budget if there isn't enough in the Other account to cover the expense completely.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

That seems a bit convoluted. Processing expenses, and then going back over them one the raised funds have been received, and re-categorising based on the split!?

Oh well.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

dannykos wrote:Same here - I'm the other side of the M25 from you :)

The whole Budget setting / reporting bit looks totally incomprehensible to me!
I think the whole of the UK went over at the same time!

I'm not rushing the change this year. From a quick look at the system, I will be adding the Budget amounts for next year, over the next couple of months so I don't have a mad rush at the beginning of January 2014. In theory we shouldn't need to use spreadsheets to track expenses etc., as it should all be done in MLS. Hopefully. :o

I had a session with our Stake Clerk last week. He has a background in finance and certainly didn't mention anything about writing cheques between units!
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I did not notice that you were in the UK since I don't know the guidelines for funding of activities especially camps and youth conferences in the UK I'm not sure how they would be handled.

In the US we are only allowed to do fund raising for one long term camp. Usually that would be scout camps and Girls camp. If the camps are combined as I believe you are stating with Deacons / Beehives camp it would be considered a Youth Conference with must be funded out of the Budget allowance and not by participate costs or or fund raising.

Thats why I said what I said.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 2: 13.4: "Youth conferences are to be funded from the stake or ward budget. Members should not be asked to pay for youth conferences."

As for the events that you can fund-raise for:
From 13.2.8:
"1. One annual extended Scout camp or similar activity for young men.
2. One annual young women camp or similar activity.
3. One annual day camp or similar activity for Primary children ages 8 through 11.
4. Optional activities as outlined in 13.5."

Item #4 requires authorization from above the stake level to charge for it. So I guess it comes down to what "or similar activity" is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd think you'd want all the money raised to go into "Other", for the simple reason that you'd want a clean paper trail showing that all money raised was spent on the intended event or refunded. Transfer from budget to "other" to make up for any differences would be fine. Paying some costs out of budget would be fine as well, but might make it harder to know what the entire cost of the event was.

But depositing raised funds into budget or transferring from "Other" to budget raises red flags that would require further study to see if all guidelines were being met.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:Since a Deacons/Beehive camp would be considered a Youth Conference all expenses would come from the Budget allowance not the other account.
I don't follow the logic. First of all, Deacons and Beehives don't normally participate in youth conferences, and second of all, I can't imagine any policy that magically turns a camp into a youth conference. It's not clear from the original post that the slash between "Deacons" and "Beehives" means "and" -- it could just as easily mean "or". But even if it is a single camp involving both deacons and Beehives, I don't see why that couldn't be a camp that falls under the "one annual camp" policy that allows funding from Other when Budget funds are insufficient.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”