Temple Recommend System - Google Keyboard Error

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
vmernst

Temple Recommend System - Google Keyboard Error

Post by vmernst »

When entering recommend numbers into TRS using Google or Safari, the 2nd and 3rd entry fields substitute letters or other characters when entering from the numeric keypad.

For example, typing 4 enters d, typing 1 enters a, etc.

It does not do this using IE or Firefox.

Who fixes things like this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Temple Recommend System - Google Keyboard Error

Post by aebrown »

vmernst wrote:When entering recommend numbers into TRS using Google or Safari, the 2nd and 3rd entry fields substitute letters or other characters when entering from the numeric keypad.
When you say "Google" I assume you mean "Google Chrome". And when you refer to "the 2nd and 3rd entry fields" I assume you are talking about the page where you enter a membership record number (MRN), which is split into three separate fields (e.g., 000-1234-5678 would be entered as "000" then "1234" then "5678").

If those assumptions are correct, then I can't duplicate your reported problem. Using either Chrome or Safari, I am able to enter any of the digits using my numeric keypad and it works just fine.

Your operating system might be a factor (I'm using Windows 7 Professional). Or you might have something running on your computer that affects how keystrokes are processed.

Have you tried this on any other computer?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd double check that Num Lock is turned on. If it's off, the keypad will send a series of control codes. Once the invalid characters are stripped out by a firewall, there could be a single letter remaining.

For example, the left arrow in ANSI terminal speak is "Esc [ D". Esc is invalid, and "[" is invalid in that field, but the "D" is accepted. That would correspond to "4" becoming "D".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
vmernst

Post by vmernst »

Thank you for the responses. I will check on my home computer (MAC) tonight. The computer I am experiencing this on is a Dell with Win 7 Professional.

The caps lock is on because all other numerals are entered correctly. Just the first numeral in fields 2 and 3 are entered as a char.

Thanks!
vmernst

Post by vmernst »

Two interesting things:

(1) Once the char is visible if I backspace over it and type a numeral it is entered as a numeral.
(2) Moving to page 2 where the member record number is validated (just the last 4 numerals) there is no issue. All numerals are entered correctly.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

vmernst wrote:Once the char is visible if I backspace over it and type a numeral it is entered as a numeral.
Using Firefox, I cannot duplicate the problem. I simply type in the complete number from the number pad and the input automatically shifts from box to box until the three boxes are filled.

If I return to activate a second recommend, I find I cannot begin in the second box to overwrite the existing number. But if I put the cursor at the end of the first box and type in the third number of the recommend (usually a zero), the second and third boxes will overwrite and fill as I continue to type. So the site is doing something interesting in the way it handles input to the three boxes.

One other thing I have noticed is that there appear to be two different versions of the page, and I wonder if you are only having the problem on one of them. But you cannot tell which version you are on until the number search completes and displays.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”