FHC Computers with XP

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
drepouille

Re: FHC Computers with XP

Post by drepouille »

Agreed. I am working on the second computer now. I just get it started and walk away. I have installed it on a Dell OptiPlex 745 and 755, both with 3 GB and 80 GB.

My biggest concern is what to do with our Dell OptiPlex 740 that has a Canon MS300 film scanner attached via a RATOC SCSI-to-USB adapter. If I can't get it to work with Windows 7, I will just leave that computer running XP. We don't want to lose the film scanner.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:My biggest concern is what to do with our Dell OptiPlex 740 that has a Canon MS300 film scanner attached via a RATOC SCSI-to-USB adapter. If I can't get it to work with Windows 7, I will just leave that computer running XP. We don't want to lose the film scanner.
A quick Google search shows the RATOC adapter has drivers for Windows 7, however the Canon MS300 does not. Good luck with that one.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Sounds about right. The Digital Imaging System also came with a Canon lide 30 scanner, but that also does not work with Windows 7. However, that scanner is no longer needed now that we have the new Lexmark MX511 MFP.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Sounds about right. The Digital Imaging System also came with a Canon lide 30 scanner, but that also does not work with Windows 7. However, that scanner is no longer needed now that we have the new Lexmark MX511 MFP.
Huh? I think we've got a LiDE 30 and it's running on Win7. I don't think the lack of Win7 drivers is typically an issue. What is a very nasty issue is if you're trying to run 64-bit OS and you don't have 64-bit drivers. The only work around is a VM running a 32-bit OS.

I see there are driver for the LiDE 30 for Vista. I'm sure that's close enough to work in Win7. Someone once said that Win7 is Vista with lipstick. So far I've not found anything to refute that. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The standard FHC image is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I tried to connect the Canon LiDE 30 into one of those systems, and it said no compatible driver could be found.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:The standard FHC image is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Well then, I think you're toast. Canon never came out with a 64-bit driver for that scanner.

The cascaded computers I got a little less than a year ago came with Win7/32 bit loaded. I can't say as I'm a fan of 64-bit unless you need to break the 4GB barrier. In fact, 64-bit has a higher minimum memory requirement. I don't think there's a single program for use in a FHC that needs or can take advantage of 64-bit.

As for the MS300, I seem to remember a thread on the email list that said to use some other driver. I'd try the MS300II as it has a Win7/64 driver. I have gotten the MS300 to work in Win7. I'm pretty sure it's 32-bit since it's the same machine that has the LiDE 30.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

hobbsrc
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by hobbsrc »

Thank you all for your feedback and especially your patience while we were creating this new FHC image disc.
A few notes: it does take a while to install due to the original size of the image plus the extensive amount of system drivers that needed to be added, adding the core ten languages and having some applications pre-installed (i.e. Chrome, Firefox, IE10). It is more time consuming up-front but less time after it is installed.

This new image will support any system from the Dell Optiplex 740 and newer (Dell, HP, and Lenovo).
We tested this image on the following systems and with all of the different languages:
Dell: 740, 745, 580, 780, 7010, 9010, 9020
HP: 7900
Lenovo: M25, M58, A95, M92Z, M93Z

The two things that are required in order to run:
Dual-layer DVD-ROM (Multi-Reader/Recorder)
64-bit architecture

At this time we are trying to fulfill all of the requests that we have received (we had been holding the requests since January/February due to the image, RootsTech and some new Microsoft license agreements) so please be patient, the discs are coming.

Again, thank you for your feedback. This helps us to know that things are actually working in the field.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I installed the new image on a Dell OptiPlex 755, and it seems to run fine.

Dual-layer DVD? I didn't check the capacity to see if you crammed more than the standard 4.77 GB onto that DVD. Hmmm.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I was trying to figure out the best way to copy this new image DVD. I notice that it is in UDF format, so I wondered if the session was closed, so we are not able to modify its contents.

I also wonder if this new image was set up with Auto Play disabled. I notice that the previous Windows 7 Pro image that was installed on cascaded computers we have received does not have Auto Play disabled, and that concerns me.

Return to “Family History Centers”