Statistically Linked Verses / Passages

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
josh-p40

Post by josh-p40 »

Another one mkmurray gave me over IM:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/deut/6/13#13

"fear the Lord"

Deuteronomy 10:20 Score: 7.48286700798
Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name.
--josh
josh-p40

Post by josh-p40 »

By the way, on that last one (Deut 6:13), that was the top score out of 74.
--josh
josh-p40

Post by josh-p40 »

Just for fun, here is Alma 32:21 with "faith" again, but this time using "bigrams" or in other words, considering the words that come before or after each keyword. Notice the verses are a little different.

Ether 12:6.txt 10.5882366948
And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

Moroni 10:23.txt 10.4507441362
And Christ truly said unto our fathers: If ye have faith ye can do all things which are expedient unto me.

Alma 32:26.txt 9.85455411358
Now, as I said concerning faith--that it was not a perfect knowledge--even so it is with my words. Ye cannot know of their surety at first, unto perfection, any more than faith is a perfect knowledge.
--josh
josh-p40

Post by josh-p40 »

Prototype available here:

http://menkefamily.no-ip.org

Not very fancy though. You have to know the verse ahead of time, no fancy ajax throwing it up for you as you type yet. :)
--josh
ShellineSE

Post by ShellineSE »

Help me understand how this is qualitatively superior to the search on LDS.org, which returns the following three scriptures when given the term "faith" (after filtering out the non-scripture results):

Alma 44:4
Now ye see that this is the true faith of God; yea, ye see that God will support, and keep, and preserve us, so long as we are faithful unto him, and unto our faith, and our religion; and never will the Lord suffer that we shall be destroyed except we should fall into transgression and deny our faith.

Romans 1:17
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

James 2:18
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
josh-p40

Post by josh-p40 »

First, the usage is different.

When you type "faith" into lds.org's search, you want general results on faith. Perhaps the most "relevant" or common results from a "PageRank" point of view.

Here, the usage is instead you reading the scriptures or a verse like Alma 32:21 and wanting to see other verses that have "faith" in them that are similar to Alma 32:21. That's why the first verse returned (Ether 12:6) is more "similar" to Alma 32:21 than Alma 44:4 is.

It's more like an automatic cross-reference. It tries to maintain the same context a the verse you started in.

Second, qualitative results are hard to judge. If you wanted a verse more like Alma 32:21, then the search I posted seems more "relevant" to me. If you want general scriptures on faith, then it would be hard to argue either way.

So in summary for usage:

1. General topic search: lds.org is great.
2. Word or phrase search based on a given verse: Nothing exists for this yet except my prototype (that I know of).
--josh
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Follow over to [thread=208]this thread[/thread] for the prototype.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”