FYI: My Book of Mormon project

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sterlingb

FYI: My Book of Mormon project

Post by sterlingb »

I'm a little hesitant, partly because it's a labor of love, but I wanted to post something to raise awareness of a project I've been working on for more than four months now, and which I think has hit the MVP stage ("minimum viable product"). Basically that means I'm plenty embarrassed by it, but also want to start growing the user base.

There's no domain name yet, but please don't be turned off by the IP addresses!
The primary goal for this site is to enable more publicly available computer-aided analysis of the Book of Mormon, including published research by scholars in various fields. I was really motivated by two source: first, Susan Easton Black's "Expressions of Faith" book with testimonies from a number of scholars, many of whom quote interesting statistics on the Book of Mormon; second, professor John Hilton's article on the usage of the word "resurrection" in the book.

It was so interesting to me that they had access to this information, and I wanted to not just verify the statistics that they had assembled, but go even further and do something that could provide a basis for more research by the public as well. In fact, in doing this work, I found a few very minor miscounts in a couple of essays in that book. While trivial, it's interesting to me that we can provide a more verifiable foundation on which future research can be done, even by researchers.

As I said, this is a labor of love. I pay all costs, and as such the site runs on very low-powered servers, and won't tolerate many hits. But I'm happy to pay a little more if there's a need for more horsepower on the server side.

Sorry for the long post! Please feel free to ask questions. I do have a forum on the project management page, but either place works.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: FYI: My Book of Mormon project

Post by sbradshaw »

Wow, it looks like something that's required a lot of time and effort so far!

Return to “General Discussions”